NBD: Fender American Not-So-Standard Jazz Bass 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShoeManiac, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

In a number of threads I've been perhaps... a bit repetitive about my displeasure with Fender regarding some of their offerings. Such as? The limited number of body finish and fingerboard combinations for their American Standard Jazz bass and Precision bass 5 strings. Witness, the stock state of the Fender American Standard Jazz bass 5 string in black:

[​IMG]

And you know what? I don't like a maple fingerboard. I just don't. Historically, I've preferred the tone of instruments with rosewood fingerboards, and I think they look better too. But what to do?

Enter eBay store The Stratosphere. Some of you may be very well aware of them. They take stock instruments and part them out for sale. That's where I got the body for my Nitro P-Bass build, and I was pretty happy with the body I received. And it got me thinking. Why not put together a parts version of an American Std Jazz bass 5 string the way I wanted it? So, I ordered the neck a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

I really liked the grain of the rosewood with this neck. And it came loaded with ultralite tuners. This week I decided to pull the trigger on a loaded body. The result?

[​IMG]

When I put the neck and body together I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The neck fit that body PERFECTLY! And the neck attachment screws fit the holes in the neck just as well.

Is this project done? Not quite yet. Right now I've got a Fender modern Jazz bass 5 string pickguard on order. I just prefer tort over the white pickguard. I'm hoping to have the new pickguard within the next month.

2. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Those guys sell necks and bodies that have given me soo many ideas for a parts bass. Right now my GAS list is a black Fender AmStd P-Bass 5-String body mated to an unlined maple fretless Warmoth neck. Mmm...

Great job on the Jazz V! Black n' rosewood is a pretty standard color combo, but I think it is darn classy! Looks like a tuxedo bass with the white pickguard.

3. pfox14

pfox14

Well, at least you got what you wanted. To each his own.

4. Radio Face

Radio Face

Fender seems to be allergic to fretless five string basses.

5. Register to disable this ad