1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD...Fender AVRI '62 P-Bass...is it real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBear, Nov 17, 2013.

1. TheBear

TheBear

Hello everyone! After playing my beloved Fender '75 ReIssue J-Bass for the last 16 years I finally took the plunge to the "other side" and picked up my first P-Bass this morning! However, looking at it under a closer inspection has shown me a few details I'm not too sure add up to it being a real AVRI '62 P. The neck date stamp seems to be off as it says "Aug25 2810" and I'm not seeing any bar code stickers on either the neck pocket or the body pocket (as is on my AVRI '62 Telecaster). Also the neck doesn't seem to line up perfectly with the neck pocket on the treble side; the neck seems to hang over the body by about 1 millimeter, but the neck fits into the body pocket VER snugly with no room to move it about when unscrewed.

What do you all think? Is this a real AVRI or a well executed parts-bass? The bass came with the seemingly correct brown-and-yellow hardshell case with the bridge and pickup covers, vintage-styled strap and other case candy. Any advice or guidance is very welcome, from "Awesome score!" to "Can you return it?"

And of course it happened, here's the photos:

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

[/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

[/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

[/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

[/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yet I really think so
    It should be legit

Great bass if so is it

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. TheBear

TheBear

Thanks you guys, I'm hoping its legit! It's getting a setup at my favorite shop right now, and they're going to try to verify it's authenticity. I'm also going to email Fender tomorrow and see what they say.

Anyone else?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rama

Rama

Congratulations on acquiring a REAL AVRI 62' Precision bass.

7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

To me it looks like the neck stamp reads "Aug 25 2011" and it's just smudged (very common). That would jive with the "Aug 11 2011" body date too. I agree with the others, everything looks correct.

8. SpaceBass2000

SpaceBass2000

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

10. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

I agree this looks pretty legit. I own an AVRI Jazz from 2005.

I could not tell what the neck plate had stamped on it though. The AVRI's usually read as "Vxxxxxx". Does yours have the 'V'?

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

12. AMPEG IAN

AMPEG IAN

Disclosures:
    Ian Joe Isaacs, Endorsing Artist: Fender and Ampeg
    Looks legit to me. I did the opposite, I got my first jazz bass. Mine also is a '62 avri in 3 tone sunburst.

13. TheBear

TheBear

Thanks for the input everyone!

Jeff K, I guess that I forgot to mention that my '75 RI Jazz is actually a Made in Japan version, and I think that it's either a '90 or '93. I'd love to have an American one just like it but every American AVRI Jazz I've played had a significantly larger neck than my MIJ...not sure why.

rootnfifths, this one does have the "V" serial number on the neck plate. My paranoia is likely just acting up, but I felt that something so easily removable shouldn't be my only indication of origin. And from what the salesman told me, the previous owner did his own setups...which somehow slightly bent the neck plate and rubbed out some of the finish where the four screws go in. I'll post more pictures a bit later and see if the shop says it's still structurally stable.

14. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I think that neck says 2010 and the ink smudged to do an 8 instead?

15. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I think it's from the future.

16. nekromancer76

nekromancer76

I have seen one of this, except that there's not strap pin on the back of the headstock. :confused:
    What can you say about the serial number on the neckplate?... ''mine'' begins with V014XXX

17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Wow 2810.

I always wanted a bass from the future.

Do they still play rock 'n roll then?

18. subdude67

subdude67

i am not familiar with fender so i can not contribute to the OP's question but after looking at the pictures i have 2 questions myself

thet E string bending to the right after the nut towards the tuner, is that right?

what is the strap button for on the back of the head stock?

just curious, thanks for your time.

19. oysteivi

oysteivi

The E string bending behind the nut is quite normal for precision basses. I think it's either a slight misalignment of the tuner in some original design that has been carried forward because it's "traditional", or it's a clever attempt to stop the E string from pulling out of the nut during heavy-handed playing. ..or it's because the windings on a thick E string reached the tuning peg, so it's not wrapping snugly around the peg and causing the string to stick out when coming off it.

The strap button on the back of the headstock is a strap button. Think acoustic guitar, where the strap is often tied to the headstock. It's very rarely used on basses, but, you know, "traditional".

20. subdude67

subdude67

oysteivi,

thank you for your explanation, so kind of you taking the time!

TheBear. sorry for the hijack. nice bass! back on topic now.

21. pfox14

pfox14

Think they'll still be making Fender basses in 2810?