1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Fender Blacktop Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seungkoo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo

Well just got myself a brand new Fender Blacktop Precision bass. One of very few NEW basses I ever bought. Came straight from the factory and the set up was pretty decent!
    Its not set up to my liking but, the neck is pretty straight (perfect amount of relief,) action is pretty dead on good for something that came straight out of the box. The bass was out of tune by a whole step on each string! I think thats a plus on how fender ships their basses.
    I wont have a review on the sound until later this weekend when I get to use it in a live situation but for now it sounds great! I didnt think the humbucker could pull off a precision sound but it can most definately do it with a bit of growl to it.
    The new high mass bridge is massive. Whenever I get a fender I tend to take things apart and thats what I did. The bridge is HEAVY, I would put it as close to the weight and size of a badass bridge. Very well made but I might opt for a vintage style bridge later on (Planning on making this bass a fretless) The electronics look decent. Construction is top notch. Well heres the pictures!
    I will try to get clips this weekend.

btw: the bass weighs in at 9lbs (weighed twice 8.9lbs, 9.1lbs)

It was hard to capture the color so I tried taking photos with flash and without but its still hard. Its very sparkly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch Supporting Member

curious to see how these sound - had a deluxe P/J w/ a bucker in the bridge a while ago and didn't like the tone at all (was active too) . . . looks cool though ;)
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    OOH! The pickups can be switch-ified for multiple tones. I like that!

For the record, I like this kind of review, with the bass taken apart. We need more of that here!

Congrats on the NBD, as well.
  4. parsons

parsons

that bridge looks pretty damn good for a factory piece!
  5. seungkoo

seungkoo

Looking at the pictures, think I can put in a p pick up in without any routing?
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

This is what I wanted to know....if those pickups for sure can be wired for series/single/parallel I'll be very interested in one of these!
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

These are growin' on me. What's the body wood? Cool color,btw.
  8. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Yes! There are four wires coming from each p/u. a couple of mini toggles and, viola!!
  9. seungkoo

seungkoo

Anyone want more detailed pictures?
  10. seungkoo

seungkoo

I was wonderin why the pots were rated 500k
  11. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Nice bass. Definitely interested in checking one out eventually.

Didn't know adding mini toggles changed what instrument it is.:D
  12. benjammin420

benjammin420

thats typical for humbuckers (or maybe I'm thinking of guitars) Congrats too, this thread is fueling my GAS! any chance you could make up a sound clip?
  13. seungkoo

seungkoo

I'll do it this afternoon. I left my rig at church last week because I drove my 2 seater
  14. Fridge123

Fridge123

That thing looks amazing. I only knew of the Jazz Bass Blacktops until this thread. That thing looks seriously good!

Damn, why must Fender do this to me!!
  15. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Hmm... Very intriguing.. I didn't think I'd like the idea of this, but I do...

Congrats!
  16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Cool. What's the neck profile like? Chunkier like a regular P, or slim like a J? I'm hoping for P...
  17. seungkoo

seungkoo

Feels like a normal p bass neck. Has a glossy tint on the back. Haven't really owned a new fender lately but the finish feels like that of my old jaguar bass. Definitely 1.625" at nut and modern C profile
  18. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Awesome!
  19. Bizor

Bizor

I've been REALLY wanting this bass but I want one that sounds somewhat similar to the typical P-bass (Mark Hoppus Signature). But I really like the look and price of this Precision Blacktop. Would you say that I should go for it since it can sound similar to a typical P-bass?
  20. seungkoo

seungkoo

For $400 it's best bass out there for the money new