1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Fender Classic ’70s P-Bass w/ GL Jazz neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassbubble11, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

This is a belated NGD seeing how I got this beauty a few weeks ago.

It is a Fender Classic ’70s Precision Bass with a Geddy Lee Jazz neck. I love, love, love this bass.

I bought it from fellow TB'er MasterBass! who by the way is one of the coolest cats I have had the pleasure to talk to on this forum.

The bass feels great. My other P has a J neck on it but the GL neck is way faster. I am guessing because it is shallower front to back. It is glossy but not sticky like other glossed necks I have played.

It sounds like a P for sure but this bass is a bit punchier and more defined than my other P. It sounds absolutely fantastic in my 3 piece Alt/Pop rock band. I may never play another bass again. LOL. I absolutely love this thing.

As for it's looks? You decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Congrats man, gorgeous bass! What's the pickup like? Been considering getting one of these.

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Looks great, congrats.

4. Bassbubble11

I really don't have anything to compare it too other than my Fender Special P. In comparison it is bigger sounding. Very focused low end. Not muddy at all. Lots of clarity and super punchy.

I suggest trying one. I am surprised how fantastic it sounds being an MIM. Oh it's pretty light too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks man! Great sounding, good looking (especially with the binding & inlays on the stock fretboard) and thumb rest - ticks all the boxes! I like to rest my thumb on top of a pickup when I play, but split pups are angled in the middle so I don't always have as much room as I'd like. Thumb rest takes care of that though!

7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Very nice, Congrats!!

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Man is that cool congrats I love the binding on the neck I think Fender could sell a ton of these.

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

10. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass. Congrats!

11. BrianToska

BrianToska

Congrats on the new bass! My 70s reissue Precision is my main bass!

12. Bassbubble11

I don't why Fender doesn't offer P's w/ J necks and vice versa. I think they would sell 2 tons.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

There are a few. Deluxe Active P Spec is PJ, J neck & McKagan is 1.625 width almost there but I think the original JB Special that Duff played is 1.5 nut width.

14. Bassbubble11

Yeah I actually own a '99 Fender Deluxe P Bass Special. It sports a Jazz neck (passive pups).

I also forgot to mention in my OP that I have A Squier '60s CV. The width on that is 1.625. I actually love that neck. It is super shallow from front to back like the Geddy neck. Just a tad wider.

Anyway, I'm just sayin' Fender could probably make a few extra bucks offering standard issue basses with P or J necks.

15. Bobster

Bobster

Very pretty bass, but I'm confused about a couple of things, if this is actually a Fender 70's Precision Bass like this: http://www.fender.com/series/classi...ingerboard-olympic-white-3-ply-bwb-pickguard/

The bridge is a Sung-Il. Those bridges are 4-hole. Have you removed it to verify the original bridge holes exist and are plugged?

Second, the color doesn't look yellow enough for Olympic white, it looks more like Artic white. Here's the Fender color chart: http://www.fender.com/support/color-chart/

Anyway, it's a very nice looking bass and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Bob

16. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

I have a mid 80's Jazz Special (Duff Mc) bass and it is a P bass body, with a 1.625 width neck and P/J pups with the large diameter magnets and the special passive tone with the center detent, Black head and rear of neck, bass of neck truss rod adjust and no pick guard. (See attached photo)

OP, very nice bass, I have huge gass for that!!

Attached Files:

17. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Wow. I really don't like white basses but that's absolutely beautiful.

18. Bassbubble11

Yes my bass is the same bass in your link. CLASSIC SERIES '70S PRECISION BASS.

Thanks for the info on the bridge. I have not taken the bridge off. Didn't even realize it was 4 screws.

About the color. It looks exactly like the color of the bass on Fenders website. The swatch on Fenders sight is heavy and yellow compared to the bass and compared to the color of the bass on there sight. The pics I took are kinda casting a blue hue on the white also. Still it's not as heavy and yellow as that horrible fender swatch. LOL.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I agree and your bass just looks elegant every part of it just works there's nothing you could change on that bass to make it look better if I had a signature model it would look just like this one.

20. adk teleman

adk teleman

Congrats! They are great basses! I love mine! I have kept it stock and plan on keeping it that way! The PUP is amazing! Really great focused bottom end and when you turn up the tone knob nice and nice bite to it!