NBD - Fender MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I found this on the GC used site and posted about it in the hot deals thread. 500 bucks for an American Fender. I was really hoping someone would snatch it up so I could avoid the temptation, but a few hours later I called the store and it was still there, so now it's mine. It's an '97. Came with an SKB soft shell case. Electronics aren't noisy at all, even with solo'd pickups. Some wear and tarnishing on the pickups and saddles. Cosmetic wear on the body. After taking the neck off (truss rod adjustment at the heel is just stupid....really really stupid), I got it set up the way I like. Sounds great.
    Questions: the nut fell out when I took the strings and neck off. Should I glue it in? Leave it alone? Replace it? It seems to work fine and there's no buzzing or anything.
    How are 97's regarded? Was it a good year?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Twins!!

[​IMG]
  2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Very cool.

Looks like a brass nut? Perhaps string tension kept it in place. I'd use just a drop of CA to keep it in place before you string it back up.
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

If you have the correct tool no need to remove the neck.

Nice deal though.
  4. Gorn Captain

No the nut seems to be plastic, or whatever they're made out of. I'm gonna restring with ti jazz rounds when they arrive in the mail so I'll glue the nut in then.

I have a bunch of Allen keys but none would catch from that little notch.

Does everything look legit? The bridge? The tuners? This is my first mia fender.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. I liked the early AmStands that I had from the late 90's, but not enough, so they went down the road, partly because mine were heavier (for my taste) at mid to high 9# range ... the only thing I did not like about them could easily be changed, the bridge is STB only ... glad it worked out for you, for very reasonable $$ .. better than money in the bank these days ...
  7. A-Step-Towards

Hmm thats weird never had that issue before.

Neck,Tuners, Neckplate, Bridge, Guard and body all are correct for that time period, he only thing I cant verify would be pickups and If there swapped it would have been for a better set.

You did good. I bought a Identical one for like $650, it was clean but I rather have a player for less and not worry about damage. Even if you don bond with it, a USA Fender is the best trade bait out there.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I just noticed you called this an '07 .. this is a '97
  9. Gorn Captain

I'm not handy at all so forgive my ignorance, what are you using to turn the truss without taking the neck off? An Allen key with a short side? The one I'm using is just under 3 inches for the long part and 3/4 inch for the short part. I can't get it to catch the truss nut at an angle from that notch. I didn't wanna force it and strip the nut.

It's been a long day.
  10. A-Step-Towards

I have used both these below and L shaped allen key's.

I didnt notice the 2007 typo but I knew it was a '97 due to you saying that in the hot deal's thread, the truss rod tool hasnt changed.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-3-16--T-Shaped-Truss-Rod-Tool-102474418-i1129831.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CP7NsYmXzbwCFYdgfgodci8Auw&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^102474418@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27490280802
  11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

I have an extra fender truss rod tool I'm not using, they really are necessary for American Fenders. If you pay the postage I'll mail it to you.
  12. Gorn Captain

Awesome, thanks.
  13. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Nice score. Nothing wrong with the late '90s AmStds at all. I like them better than the later American Series.
  14. truckin88

truckin88 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is the tool you need sir!
  15. Gorn Captain

My hero. Sending a pm.
  16. speeves

speeves

Thanks for saving me from temptation :) I would have bought it, but have to move some Strats first :)

Nice buy!
  17. Gorn Captain

What's really strange is that someone must'v brought this in to GC to sell and gotten $250 for it. It's an MIA fender with mild cosmetic damage that someone took 250 bucks for.
  18. Splods

Splods

I was born in 97. If you ever tire of her, let me know.
  19. Gorn Captain

The honeymoons over. It's going back. One saddle adjustment screw is stuck. The volume knobs change the volume all the way up or off, nothing in between, and despite my best setup efforts, there's buzzing along the 15th-17th frets of the a and d string. It'll be in commack, NY in a few days if anyone's interested.
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool sir this is why TB is a great community and that is a great score on that bass congrats sir.