NBD: Fender MIJ JB62SS Smart Size (Short Scale Jazz Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzish, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Jazzish

Jazzish

At 5'5" tall I couldn't resist buying one of these short scale Jazz Basses. It arrived today! I'm editing an unboxing/demo/review video of it and will upload it later.

First impressions: Great bass! Top quality you would expect from Fender Japan. Pleasant surprise that it came with a decent gig bag.

Specs:
    29.5" scale
    7lbs 4oz
    1 1/2" nut
    Full size pickups, bridge, control plate
    Everything else is scaled down 15%

Pickups sound good in all combinations and neck feels great. Very responsive instrument.

I'm not a great photographer but here you go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Very nice. Love the old school 'burst/tort/rosewood combo. Short scale to boot! Congrats on an awesome bass
  4. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Oh that is Sweet! I knew they made med scale but not short scale MIJ's.
    Anyone know if they have P basses in this size?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Dunno about MIJ, but there's the MIM Precision Jr., 28" scale.

[​IMG]
  7. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

thanks for the pics, i've been eyeballing one of these for a bit now and look forward to your more thorough review.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sweet congrats.
  9. Nothing in the way of P-Basses coming out of Fender Japan new at the moment - in either medium or short scale - but they do offer different things periodically. Good to keep a close eye on them.

NICE SCORE on the SS Jazz!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  10. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Beautiful, and my favorite finish combination—same as on my Jazz.

Congrats.
  11. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Do you plan to mod/upgrade it a bit? I imagine that would go look and sound quite amazing with custom shop pickups, stacked pots, RI tuners and bridge. And felt mutes.
    What about covers and tugbar? From the looks of it it seems like the covers would be too big, am I correct in saying this?
    Also, if they come out with a 30" p bass, I{d need to start saving...
  12. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Wow, I want that baby Jazz Bass! What did it set you back?

Also, in regards to the MIM P Jr. -- who has one and how do they compare with Mustangs and Musicmasters?
  13. Jazzish

Jazzish

Here are sound clips of the bass going direct to Logic via a Focusrite Scarlett 212. Flat EQ and no efx.

As far as modding the bass I'm considering a string through bridge and putting heavier strings on it. Also, tempted to throw an old set of Monstertone pickups in it that I currently have in my MIJ 75 Reissue Jazz Bass. Still getting used to the little guy so I'm not in a hurry to change anything.

Attached Files:

14. Jazzish

Jazzish

I wanted to mention the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is the pick guard. It's one dimensional, not 3D. Looks dull. Might change that in the future.

I bought it direct from an online store in Japan so I got it for $750 shipped and came with a decent gig bag. Customer service was top notch and better price than Ebay for sure.

Attached Files:

15. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Sounds nice! 750 is a rather fair price as well, especially with all of the import stuff to deal with.

Warmoth makes actual celluloid pickguard material so you could make a 3D guard out of that if you so desired.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Congrats!
  17. lokerola

lokerola

Awesome bass.
  18. It's too bad these photos are obsolete and unviewable. The only smart scales I have ever seen are the ones on the Fender Japan website.

I can't really navigate the upper registers of a short scale - little too cramped for my fat fingers, but boy, do I love my mediums. Fender Japan kicks proverbial butt.

BassHappy
  19. barroso

barroso

During a recent business trip in Japan, I come back with a nice olympic white Smart Size '62 Jazz.
    As guys have already pointed out it is a cool sounding, really well made bass in pure japanese reissue style. At this point I can just add couple of lo-fi pics. just to show how does this little J compare in terms of overall dimension to a J regular size and to a classic short scale bass design, a Longhorn.

Attached Files:

20. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Ohh I need one of those! So I could do some Joe Long basslines!