1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Fender MIJ JB62SS Smart Size (Short Scale Jazz Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzish, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Jazzish

Jazzish Supporting Member

At 5'5" tall I couldn't resist buying one of these short scale Jazz Basses. It arrived today! I'm editing an unboxing/demo/review video of it and will upload it later.

First impressions: Great bass! Top quality you would expect from Fender Japan. Pleasant surprise that it came with a decent gig bag.

Specs:
    29.5" scale
    7lbs 4oz
    1 1/2" nut
    Full size pickups, bridge, control plate
    Everything else is scaled down 15%

Pickups sound good in all combinations and neck feels great. Very responsive instrument.

I'm not a great photographer but here you go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Very nice. Love the old school 'burst/tort/rosewood combo. Short scale to boot! Congrats on an awesome bass
  4. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Oh that is Sweet! I knew they made med scale but not short scale MIJ's.
    Anyone know if they have P basses in this size?
  5. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Dunno about MIJ, but there's the MIM Precision Jr., 28" scale.

[​IMG]
  6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

thanks for the pics, i've been eyeballing one of these for a bit now and look forward to your more thorough review.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Sweet congrats.
  8. BassHappy

BassHappy

Nothing in the way of P-Basses coming out of Fender Japan new at the moment - in either medium or short scale - but they do offer different things periodically. Good to keep a close eye on them.

NICE SCORE on the SS Jazz!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  9. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Beautiful, and my favorite finish combination—same as on my Jazz.

Congrats.
  10. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Do you plan to mod/upgrade it a bit? I imagine that would go look and sound quite amazing with custom shop pickups, stacked pots, RI tuners and bridge. And felt mutes.
    What about covers and tugbar? From the looks of it it seems like the covers would be too big, am I correct in saying this?
    Also, if they come out with a 30" p bass, I{d need to start saving...
  11. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Wow, I want that baby Jazz Bass! What did it set you back?

Also, in regards to the MIM P Jr. -- who has one and how do they compare with Mustangs and Musicmasters?
  12. Jazzish

Here are sound clips of the bass going direct to Logic via a Focusrite Scarlett 212. Flat EQ and no efx.

As far as modding the bass I'm considering a string through bridge and putting heavier strings on it. Also, tempted to throw an old set of Monstertone pickups in it that I currently have in my MIJ 75 Reissue Jazz Bass. Still getting used to the little guy so I'm not in a hurry to change anything.

Attached Files:

13. Jazzish

I wanted to mention the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is the pick guard. It's one dimensional, not 3D. Looks dull. Might change that in the future.

I bought it direct from an online store in Japan so I got it for $750 shipped and came with a decent gig bag. Customer service was top notch and better price than Ebay for sure.

Attached Files:

14. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Sounds nice! 750 is a rather fair price as well, especially with all of the import stuff to deal with.

Warmoth makes actual celluloid pickguard material so you could make a 3D guard out of that if you so desired.
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Congrats!