1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD - Fender MIM Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Two days ago I got a Squier fretless. I was quite content with it, till I found this used Fender in the other GC. I still stink at fretless but this thing is fantastic. It's a 2007-2008 according to the serial number. Are those good years for MIM? I don't know if the dimensions of the necks are any different, but I like this one better and the intonation is perfect on each line, and it was at best very close on the Squier. Plus, the squier had the slightly raised lines whereas on this they're flush with the board. When I played this at the store and solo'd the pickups, they were completely noiseless. I noticed it said "SCN" on the pickups which I determined to mean noiseless using my powers of deduction. After googling it, they're apparently Samarium Cobalt Noiseless. The fingerboard is in flawless condition. It came strung with chromes and the original owner must have only ever used flats. The problem is, they sound kinda lifeless. I want roundwound bite but I'm hesitant cuz the fingerboard is literally perfect. I have a set of sunbeams I want to put on it. I rarely bend anyway and I'll use proper fretless vibrato and learn to live with minor grooving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. garp

garp

Congrats. Looks like the previous owner swapped out the original bridge, too — the OEM version would’ve been chrome.

3. Gorn Captain

I didn't even notice that till I changed the strings. A black pickguard and tuners may be in order.

4. spanndrew

spanndrew

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have this exact bass with a series/parallel push/pull pot and get a pseudo p tone in neck position and love the SCN pickups.(Bill Lawrence RIP, designed) Mine has a BA bridge and white guard. My other Fretless jazz has Di Marzio Js and a Retro j preamp ,BA bridge(black) and a 3 ply black guard (as you propose) both are great playing and sounding basses. These necks are killer .

My wife bought me a unlined Fretless ESP/LTD 214 for Christmas, but I'm still more comfortable with the lines for now.

7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I put a black pearloid on my CIJ - it really doesn't look this blue!

Attached Files:

8. Gorn Captain

9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I owned one similar. I used to have Chromes too, and they are lifeless for this application.
    Fender 9050 flats will wake it up real good.
    Or you may try some Roto's.

10. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

11. Gorn Captain

Yah the chromes were no good. I took them off and put a set of super light daddario nickels on. They'll do until the labella white tapes I ordered arrive.

12. Grissle

Grissle

Here's my '01 MIM Fretless that's had some mods done i.e. Dots on fretboard, new pups & electronics etc., Lots of fun, great basses and a big congrats on yours!
    [​IMG]

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Honestly, if you want the vibrance of rounds but don't want to damage the board, the most logical step would be TI jazz flats, IMO.

14. Apolicious

Apolicious

Seconded. Hurts the wallet, but you only need to buy them once. Most sonorous flats I've ever played, bar none. They sound like slippery little angels. I'd get a set for my fiver but I don't have $120 to drop on strings :\

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I owned this one for a stretch. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups and the nicest neck on any bass I've owned. I traded it for something else at the local music store/recording studio and it was a mainstay in the studio for several years before it was sold. Someone before me changed to the black pickguard. For what it's worth, a local killer jazz bassist uses a MIM Jazz fretless at his gigs when he's not playing his upright.

[​IMG]

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Nice score, bet it is nice having a fretless you can actually set up. ;) I too fell for the VM trap, I have yet to see one in person that has been radiused other the one I did myself.

So.... when you getting the epoxy done?

17. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I think you'll really like the white tapes. TIs sound beautiful on fretless (perhaps it's the nickel on rosewood), but the La Bellas are smoother and very, very bright for tapes.

18. Gorn Captain

I was thinking about that, but I just restrung it yet again with labella flats. They're working for me. I might be able to live with flats.

Yeah the white tapes are great. I had them once on another one of my fretless ventures. Mwah for days.
    I'm really digging the labella flats though.

I think I'm committed to sticking with fretless this time. I've been playing it for hours on end and the sound just can't be beat. I'm basically playing like its a fretted. No fancy sliding for me, at least for now while my I'm working on my intonation.

19. Gorn Captain

Stupid question:
    The side dots are in between the fret lines, rather than on the lines where I'm actually "fretting".

What's a good way to black out the existing dots and adding dots at 3, 5, 7 and so on at the fretlines.

Should I sharpie the dots and add little white circular stickers where I want them?

Is there a better way?

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You can use a touch up marker from a furniture store or Home Depot. Should be easy to fine a color that matches or is slightly darker.

21. Gorn Captain