1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD- Fender MIM Jazz V with Bartolini pickups and preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by but_ch, Feb 17, 2014.

1. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392683721.462386.jpg
    Found this on CL. Whoever did the pickups did a pro router job to fit the 2 9v batteries. Decent shape, a few nicks (which doesn't bother me.). Raised the pickups, adjusted the neck, cleaned and restrung, and it kills! I was looking for a passive, but this will do!
  2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

The active electronics will give the B string more debth, and a brighter high end - have you found this to be true? Are you glad it's active rather than passive after hearing it?
  3. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

Yes, you're right. I played it on Friday at my gig, but I hadn't changed the strings. It sounded good, but I don't have a gig until the 1st. I won't know how good until I get it in the real amp.
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84

It has a dual battery house? Cuz that's a Fender MIM Active Deluxe Jazz. It already had 1 battery housing.
  5. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Looks to me like the body is Midnight Wine, which wasn't offered on the Active Deluxe Jazz to my knowledge.

Excellent score!
  6. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

I can tell there was a rout for one 9v that was extended to fit a second 9v. Not my first color choice, but not bad. Oh, and its an '01, if that makes a difference in whether the color was offered.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Anyway sure one of the first from Mexico, 'cause in the '90s those in line Gotohs distinguished the Japanese production.

Can't remember they already were active: I remember Japanese models were passive, so did early MIM 5ers.

From more recent years, MIM active deluxe had former American Deluxe Noiseless pickups and dual battery compartment so I guess the cavity was either already in place or completely due to the modster intervention.

Not my kinda neck, but great if you're happy with it.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

The neck isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but I needed a 5 and wanted a Jazz. It plays fine, just a bit thick in the neck.