1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD:Fender MM Sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrangerDanger, Nov 28, 2012.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Couldnt help mice elf. Really good looker and player with a great sound for $800 with a brand new Fender SKB HSC case thrown in. I believe its an 07-08 because it has Made In Japan on the head stock and Crafted In Japan at the base of the neck on the back.

I normally dont go for sig basses or active basses for that matter but there is something very organic about this one and it doesnt weigh nearly as much as most MM's I have picked up. It weighs 9.5lbs and most of the ones I have been in contact with have been in the 10.5 to 11 lb range. In fact I had never even plugged one in until this one because I was so turned off by the weight.

It does have some grounding noise issues at times but I saw this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Silencing_the_Noise_on_a_Marcus_Miller_Signature_Bass
    And sent the link to my tech and he swears he can fix it up for me.

So here's the prerequisite crappy cell phone pic of my newest baby:
    [​IMG]
  2. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Congrats. I'll always have a JB in my arsenal.
  3. StrangerDanger

Been playing this bass at the house for the last couple of nights and the grounding noise I heard the first night is gone. I dont know what happened and I still plan to the shielding mod but I'm happy its gone for now.

I'm also finding that with the boost only preamp that a little goes a long way and the bass sounds better with minimal treble boost and a little extra bass. Very good fingerstyle rock tone. In other words it aint just a slapper.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Many metal players (I am) use it for our earthquakin' purposes,
    knowin' that if ever required, it can slap like heck, as not so many other basses can, in a so physiological manner at least...

Congrats my friend

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. zachbass02

zachbass02 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Harkte Amps
    shielding will make a huge difference. I just got a NOS MIJ model too. Had a lot of ground noise. All I did was move all the grounds to a common point and shielded all the cavities. It's quiet as a mouse now. Getting ready to add a passive tone control to mine. Love the pre, just would like to be able to roll some of the highs off.
  6. StrangerDanger

Keep me updated on that. I think all its missing is a passive tone knob.