NBD: Fender Modern Player Satin Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I got a cheapo Yamaha PJ recently that I liked but didn't love so I took it back to exchange and ended up with this. Very cool bass. Tons of tonal variations, and all of them good and useful. I considered the modern player dimension but I didn't like all but 2 of the 5 settings. The 4 way pickup selector on this, plus 2 volume controls and tone control equate to lots of versatility. It's used and in great shape aside from the pickguard which is scratched to hell but I don't mind. I love the finish on the body but kinda hate the super glossy neck. I may try sanding it down. And it has the musicman style truss adjustment which really ought to be on all basses as far as I'm concerned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

you scored. replace a pg in minutes & you already have the remedy for the neck.

3. awilkie84

awilkie84

I have one of these in black & maple. LOVE the bass. :D

WD Music makes replacement guards that fit, too. :) I'm looking at getting a gold annodized for mine. ^_^ Oh, and I threw on a set of DR Neons in rainbow. :p

I took steel wool to the back of the neck. Now it's super fast. :D I may sand the finish off at some point, though.

The truss adjustment is a breeze, too. I can tweak it in between songs by having the adjustment tool just sitting in my pocket. :)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You might as well just start a sticky "323 buys basses." Haha. Nice score, I am surprised you didn't like that RBX but I am not surprised you got a Fender.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Good call on wd music. I'm not sure what else would go well with the matte burst. Maybe tort...we'll see. I'm gonna assume there's routing under the pg and it can't go naked, which sucks.

I'm not a hoarder...honest. One comes in and one goes out.

I really did like the rbx. I was planning on exchanging for a fancier rbx the store had, but this one caught my eye.

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Yeah, it's routed like a typical MIM and even the new MIAs. Can't go naked. :( I tried with mine.

One thing to have a tech check is if your single coil mode is out of phase. Mine was & we fixed that fast.

Also, the position knob is counter-intuitive. Rolled all the way off, is position 4 (single coil). All the way on, is position 1 (humbuckers). :S That confused me for a bit, lol.

8. Gorn Captain

Yah, the position switch had me perplexed at first but after noodling, I got it down pretty well. Luckily, position 4 (single coil) seems to work perfectly. My personal favorite jazz bass tone is a solo'd bridge pup with the tone rolled down and this one nails that Jaco burp. The solo'd bridge humbucker with the tone down is interesting. Like a Jaco burp but more intense.

This setup really is something. The intensity of humbuckers when I want them, and traditional jazz bass goodness.

I'm not sure how useful the 2 middle positions are gonna be, but they sound good. I like position 2 a lot-front humbucker + single coil bridge.

Truly an outstanding bass. I'm surprised there isn't an American version.

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

I run mine in dual J, or H/J (if I want a P-esque sound) with the bridge vol rolled off just a bit and the tone about 60%.

It really is an amazing bass. I don't know if the Rosewood board models are, but the maple board is a 1 piece 1/4-sawn neck, with subtle flaming.

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Are you sure there isnt plastic film still on the guard? it almost looks it.

11. Gorn Captain

Yeah, that's what I though at first. It seems a boisterous pick playing teenager may have been the previous owner.

Is muddy the right word to describe the humbucker sound? Not in a bad way at all, but that's how they sound to me. And I'm very happy the solo'd single coils aren't weak or underwhelming. That's always been an issue with most jazz basses I've played.

12. awilkie84

awilkie84

Hmm. I wouldn't describe my buckers as muddy. Ballsy is the word I'd use. They've got an amazing, clear, punchy, growl to them. Of course, I have a maple board, so that might play into it?

13. Gorn Captain

That's a better word. I guess they're not muddy because they're still well defined. As far as I can tell, this thing can be a dual humbucking beast, a PJ, a JP, or a basic jazz bass, with lots of variation in between.

This must be one of the most versatile basses out there.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

When Fender started doing this, THAT was the moment I knew I was done with Fender. I've had many, but this one change - which likely saves them 25 cents per body, irritated me so much that I sword them off. Sad.

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Agreed. :D I'm very impressed with it.

Meh. I actually like having PGs on my basses, so it doesn't bother me at all. :)

16. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Regarding the neck, i used a scotch brite pad... like 3 quick swipes and got a fast, smooth neck. Works wonders!

Awilkie84 - good to hear you got it solved!

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 lol nice score I've always been curious about these basses never had the opportunity to try one I love that satin finish very much.

18. bobalu

bobalu

Some automotive swirl remover would shine up the pg a bit. Did you leave the flats on it? I think the neck looks great with the gloss! Great looking bass there....

19. Gorn Captain

Flats? It came with daddario nickel rounds. I switched to daddario flex steels, which are great btw. They're very easy on the fingers for steels and not overly zingy.

20. bobalu

bobalu

Sorry, in your close up they looked like flats to me. Flex Steels, are they like half-rounds then? (not familiar with them) They really look smooth in the pictures.

21. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Nice grab dude! I've wanted one since the first time I saw it, though I've never had the chance to actually play one. I have a mp tele bass and the build quality is solid, so I would assume this one is too. Is it made in china or mexico? That burst is sweet...