NBD: Fender P/J with Fretless Jazz neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alecduncan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. alecduncan

alecduncan

Hey there guys, I visited Indianapolis for my birthday this past weekend and found this gem while guitar shopping with my buddy. I then had a harrowing drive up home to Detroit through this crazy blizzard, so needless to say we've already bonded!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I can tell, the body looks like a 2004/2005 Precision Bass Special (MiM) and the neck comes from a 2007 MiM fretless Jazz bass. Usually I'm a bit of a snob and start looking for MIJ basses but playing this bass made me change my tune. It's just a phenomenal passive instrument and is inspiring me to change up my playing style to take advantage of the fretless qualities. I've always wanted a fretless Fender and this is actually the first one I've owned! First red bass I've owned, too, and I got this guy for $250 so I don't think I made off too badly! Definitely going to play this over my Musicman SUB for the next few weeks and see what I think.
  2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Cool bass, I think the body is a squier. It has 14 pickguard screws which some affinties have, a fender would have 13 . Also affinities have 1 ply guards which that looks to be.
  3. alecduncan

alecduncan

Ah, say it ain't so! I thought I could trust the guy who sold it to me. He insisted that it was a Mexican P/J special that Fender made.

Is there any chance at all that this could have been a Mex body?
  4. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Take the neck off and check the neck pocket for the dating. I personally do this for each bass I buy, just to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

If you took the guard off and posted a photo I could say yes or no to it being a legit fender MIM body or not.

Either way a affinity body isnt really much worse then a mexican made fender. They are both alder, poly finished, affinties are just thinner and cheaper electronics.

They did make PJ affinity squiers with those 14 hole single ply pickguards, they were made in the late 90s in a solid red. Sadly I cant find a photo as it keeps bringing up the newer PJ squier with the black guard, this one would be older then that.

That is if i am correct. Maybe its a fender with a different guard.
  7. alecduncan

alecduncan

Well thanks regardless for the information! I'm not confident enough in my abilities to take the neck off and not screw something up so I'm going to bring it into my local shop and see if they can check it out. I should have done more research but I was in the city for one morning only and acted impulsively.

For the life of me the only way this could be a Mexican body is if they drilled a new hole for a Squier pickguard, but I have no idea why anyone would...

Later tonight I will take off the pickguard and see if anything is apparent.
  8. A-Step-Towards

If your wanting the neck off just to check for dates as squier neck pocket wont say much.

Its easier to just tell by the routes what is squier and what is MIM. Its pretty easy to see.

Squier affinity body, notice no CNC holes and 14 screw holes

[​IMG]

MIM fender body

13 holes, CNC Hole in the body and the neck pocket has a CNC hole in it. There is also a barcode under where the pickups are

[​IMG]

I know both these are not PJ and just P but its the same concept on the PJ's.
  9. slickbass3

slickbass3

Good buy - if you like it don't regret it.

Peace!

sg
  10. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Hey, if the neck feels good, the bass isn't too heavy and it sounds good, mission accomplished for $250. Makes me want to get one.
  11. alecduncan

alecduncan

Just a bit of an update - it was indeed an old Squier P/J body. Though, I was able to get a partial refund for this mistake so I'm going to be keeping this bass for not a lot of money. I've been playing it for a bit with the band and really like the feel. I'm going to be upgrading it with a Badass bridge and new pickups -

Is there a P/J pickup set out there that is recommended?
  12. A-Step-Towards

Like I said before its not a big deal its a squier body, its alder not plywood.

Maybe some Dimarzio's? or some Duncan quarter pounders? I have a set of Dimarzio PJ's if your looking used.
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Try looking for "Squier Standard Precision Special" or something like that. I had one dated back to 2001 that had the 14-hole guard. It, and the one I still have, was from their discontinued "Standard" line.

[​IMG]

I couldn't find a 14-hole replacement pickguard that would fit properly, so I had to paint it myself since I prefer black coupled with sunburst.

alecduncan: If you're hunting for replacement pickups, carefully measure the pickup routes. I've owned four different Squier Standards (two Jazzes, two P-Specials) and all of them have a very different "footprint" when compared to the common Fender necks, bodies and hardware. For example, the neck and bridge pickup routes are practically identical in size. Both Jazzes could only take a neck pickup in the bridge position. But even though a neck pickup fits, the slot still needs a tiny bit of re-routing just to allow the damn Duncan "Basslines" pickup cover to fit! :mad:
  14. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Yeah, the PJ Specials were part of the Standard line and not the entry level Affinity line. The Standard eventually became the Vintage Modified line, if I'm not mistaken, as they're both from Indonesia. Affinity and Classic Vibe are Chinese made, with the CV being vastly better than Affinity.

I have had several of these PJ Specials now, and none of them have had a CNC hole like an MIM body would have. With an upgrade in pickups and electronics, they're pretty damn good basses.
  15. Malak the Mad

With respect, it was the Classic Vibe line that replaced the Standards. I have a 2008 Squier catalog (the last year of the Standard line) and it lists the Affinity, Vintage Modified, Deluxe and Artist lines, but no Classic Vibes.
  16. A-Step-Towards

There is some misinformation on this page. A squier precision special was made as a standard series instrument with a 13 hole guard, there was a squier precision special that was a affinity model as well with PJ pickups and it had a 1 ply 14 hole guard. This affinity version was available in the late 90's.

I kid you not, it is the truth but I am not going to play around on google searches trying to prove it.:)
  17. BassBandit

BassBandit Supporting Member

I see you did find out it was a Squier body, I just got this 2012 Precision Special MIM the p/u setup is really good with a standard P p/u and a Fender Noiseless J p/u, though for $64.99 each Duncan Basslines are Incredible p/u's

Attached Files:

18. Malak the Mad

Just to make sure we're not agreeing so differently that it sounds like we're disagreeing; the pic of that 2001 14-hole sunburst P-Special I posted earlier was most assuredly from the Standard line. Also from the Standard line is this later-model P-Special of mine (2007 or 2008…it's a refurb so I don't know the exact date) which has thirteen holes. Somewhere along the way the Standard Precisions ditched the extra hole in the pickguard.

[​IMG]