1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

NBD: Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hachi kid, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    FINALLY!!! I HAVE ONE!!! I'm so freaking jazzed about this thing! I've been sort of dreaming of a Bass VI, or something like it, for years, but never was able to get my hands on one. I saw Fender was releasing this, and I eventually found zZounds was selling them in just the color I wanted (C.A.R.) for $799 shipped! that, plus the $100/mo deal they have...well, I just couldn't pass it up!

this thing sounds great, though! it does need a setup pretty badly. another user said he shimmed the neck, and it helped immensely...so, I'm gonna look into that. I kind of like the bridge humbucker a little bit, but I really dig the sound of the middle/bridge together. the neck pickup can do the woody EB-0 type sound, but the small string gauge let it down a bit, as far as true deep low-end punch. the e, as a lot of people have said, is a bit floppy...but come on, it's a 30" scale bass with light gauge strings on it. the tremolo is pretty much only for effect...I only leave it in locked mode, however...it's impossible to keep in tune if I put it in full floating mode. my only gripe is the saddle guides are rubbing on the E and A strings...but that will be fixed with a setup. overall, I LOVE this thing! I'm eventually going to mod it with different pickups, a Jag switch plate, stereo outputs, and a different pickguard.

one thing I'm curious about...I'm trying to find out what production number this is...the serial # is MX12308234

I'm not sure how to decode the serial number.

oh yea, I forgot to say.....I've been playing for 12 years, and this is my very first Fender! :bag:

PICS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

3. Roboglitch

Roboglitch

Jan 1, 2013
    For $799 it shouldn't need to have the neck shimmed!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful congrats

5. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    while I don't disagree, I knew this wasn't going to be perfect...it's a Fender.... :p

6. Wow, all the Djent kids need this instead of the 8 string guitars.

7. leokatero

leokatero

Jan 17, 2013
    I knew this wasn't going to be perfect[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Congrats on a Sweet looking Bass.:bassist:

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Great, now i'm GASing for one.

thank you, thanks a lot.

By the way, congrats!

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
  11. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    FrednBass: ......only $100/mo....... ;)

12. HenfieldJ

HenfieldJ

Feb 10, 2007
    Detroit
    I have pretty much the same comments after trying one out at my local GC. I was ver surprised that the middle/bridge pickup combo sounded so good! I may go the zzounds route as well, and I like the red with the painted headstock, it will kind of go with my vintage Competition Mustang Bass with a blue body and headstock! I would definitely put the LaBella 0.95" flats on it, but I am not sure about the switch plate. A common mod for strat guitars that want the other pickup combinations is to have a push/pull switch on the volume control, and wire it so that it turns on the bridge and neck pickups, that way you can get the other two combinations that the 5 way switch does not give you!

13. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    bridge solo = switch position 1
    bridge+mid = switch position 2
    mid solo = switch position 3
    mid + neck = switch position 4
    neck solo = switch position 5
    bridge+neck = volume pullout
    bridge+mid+neck = ???

are you saying that with the switch in position 3 (mid solo) and the volume pulled out (bridge+neck) you get all 3 pickups?

14. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    more photos of this thing opened up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Had to hop on and take a look. Beautiful! Enjoy that!!!

16. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Very nice. I resorted to making my own from a cool old guitar body and a 30in Dano bass VI neck. I might have to seek one of these out. I agree that the low E needs at least a .095 to avoid an almost useless E at this scale. I'm in a 3 piece cover band and it's nice to have the upper range to help cover 2nd guitar lines!

17. ch3zzz

ch3zzz

Apr 27, 2012
    Hi man!

Plz write the demo! I think that many people want to know how sound GDAE!
    I do not know whether to order it from Germany for 800 euros
    I hope that your demo will help me and others
    Best Regards!

*From Russia with L<3ve*

18. HenfieldJ

HenfieldJ

Feb 10, 2007
    Detroit
    Yes, exactly, and with the switch in position 1 or 5, you get bridge+neck!

19. Too true. :)

20. Are you gonna be playing this trough a bass amp or a guitar amp? I'm on the fence about getting one and every demo I've watched has it run through a guitar amp, which I have no intentions of doing. Some sound clips through a bass amp would be great if you're feeling generous!