1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beano_z, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Beano_z

Beano_z

It's been a long wait, but well worth it. Had it delivered to my office and it arrived Monday morning, after unpacking it while in a telephone conference I had put the case under my desk during the entire day. The smell of new / old case was making me crazy, especially knowing I won't be able to take her home before 8pm that day.

Anyway, the new gear excitement has subsided a little, I can think clearly again. I did put some new D'addario steel flats on in a lighter gauge, plays really nice now.

The stupid thing is, I can't afford an amp. It's not that I can't pay for an amp, it's just that I have no place to put it in my tiny pigeonhole of an apartment in Hong Kong:rollno::bawl:

Anyway, it's a '59 see through blonde with the anodized guard. My first fender bass, my first precision and my first 4 string bass. In the second picture it's sitting next to my trusty old strat I bought about 10 years ago, with a similar color scheme.

Now, I'm constantly traveling between two cities and my band is in the other place (not Hong Kong), so I'll be looking for a "copy" or back-up of this precision bass to leave there for band practise every now and then, any good suggestions? I'm thinking the 60th anniversary precision in blonde with the black guard looks very nice, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats she is beautiful I said it before I think the economy is looking up everyday there seems to be a new amp,bass or cab day I love it. I think your backup suggestion is a good one but I would see if I could grab one used and save some money.

3. Beano_z

Beano_z

Thanks for the suggestion, however, the second hand market here is not very mature and the things on offer are few and far between. I really envy you guys living in the US, with all the nice shops and prices you have for Fenders in general.

In Hong Kong the lowest price I saw was UD$ 1,500,- for th 6th anniversary P, and I don't even dare to go into Mainland China for such a purchase, they're asking the equivalent of US$ 2,500,- (!) for it. But buying it from the US and pay US$ 200,- extra shipping is also not really worth the effort because I can't try the bass before buying.:rollno:

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Nice bass.
    Is the Strat one of the AVS '57 RI models from 1987-98?

I really like the Fender in your avatar picture though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Beano_z

Beano_z

Yeah, I really should have bought that Hello Kitty guitar:bag:

But the strat is not the RI, it's a custom shop '56 see through blonde on ash, with gold hardware, not Mary Kaye or anything, but I just fave a fetish for blonde guitars on ash bodies with one piece maple necks, can't help, so imagine the joy I was in when I found this precision!:hyper:

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

That... is a bass. :D Looks great. Enjoy!

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That's a nice bass you've got there.

Regarding the 60th Anniversary, I have one. Got it last January and I'm still madly in love with it. The thin nitro finish chips easily but if you're going for that relic look its great for that. Mine is really starting to yellow nicely, too.
    [​IMG]

9. Beano_z

Beano_z

Wow, now I'm drooling, love how they yellow with age. But looking at your bass reminds of that bridge again, it's the only thing that's preventing me from buying this bass, I still prefer the original design, so I'm now a bit torn between this and the new American vintage, the white blonde one would be a perfect match for my P:bassist:

10. klejst

klejst

She is beautiful indeed, great looking bass! Congrats

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That pic is from the day I got it, it's significantly more yellowed now and is really collecting the mojo.

I actually really like this bridge. And the really cool thing is the "strong arm" string retainer. It really does make a difference on the A string's angle at the nut.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He is in China... it is their economy that is crushing yours, so obviously he has scratch for a new bass. ;)

Seriously though, that is a killer looking P. I love the white and gold. Personally I'd throw gold hardware on it, but dang she looks good already.

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Guitars are so little!

14. millsbass5

millsbass5

I just love that color. One of my top 3 favorite colors from Fender. You could hook with this guy in Japan so you can play it thru an amp......:bag:

15. Beano_z

Beano_z

Thanks, hope I get the hang of playing a 4 string quick.

How long have you had it? I wonder whether there's a point where it's saturated, when they can't turn "more" yellow? My strat's reached a point I think where it has stopped yellowing, now only the plastic keeps going at it.

Here's a couple of pictures from this morning, still take with an iPad, so bear with me, I haven't had the time to get out a proper camera to take pictures of her, it'll have to be for next week.

And man, I saw that dude once already, it's made me stronger as a person:bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. slick_tu

slick_tu Supporting Member

Beautiful! Did I miss something; is it an original '59? :confused:

17. Beano_z

Beano_z

Yes sir, it is, you have sharp eyes!:D

18. Mike M.

Mike M.

Very nice! I love the gold pickguard on the P basses with a maple fretboard. It's such a classic look from the 50's that ( in my opinion) has never gotten old.

19. Beano_z

Beano_z

That's what I feel as well, it's quite coordinated, puts me at ease, being a long time fan of Mr. Duck Dunn (who passed away on my birthday las year:bawl:)!

However, I don't like the look too much of the black pickup covers, hence I've left the ashtrays on, luckily for my fingerstyle of playing, it doesn't get in the way.

20. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Love the bass man!

21. odarellmc

odarellmc Supporting Member

if i purchased another P would be this one...lovely!