NBD: Fender Roadworn Classic 50s Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidjackson, Apr 7, 2014.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson

After a while of looking I finally found a used Roadworn P at a great price. I already own a Steve Harris MIJ P bass so wanted something that had a different look and feel to it and - in truth - something I didn't mind getting a few dings in it once in a while!

Like most people I've read comments from on here, I was reluctant to spend so much on a MIM bass but I tried hard to judge the bass on the look, feel and sound rather than the country of origin stamped on the back of the headstock.

I have been genuinely impressed. Whilst not as well made as any of the MIA Fenders I've played it's got a great feel to it and a fantastic neck. I also hadn't realised how much the narrow frets would change the feel but I really like it. It's got a great p bass sound and I love the roadworn look which is evident all the way across the instrument - not just the body. Even the screws look like they are 60 years old!

I guess what I'm saying is that once you park the analysis it simply comes down to the fact that this bass is a lot of fun. It does sort of feel like a vintage bass and that's something I enjoy too without having to worry about it being worth thousands of pounds.

I'm keeping the Steve Harris P which currently has some heavy La Bella flats on it so the Roadworn with rounds will be a nice addition to the arsenal.

Apologies for the crappy camera phone pics!

Attached Files:

2. davidjackson

davidjackson

...and one more.

Attached Files:

3. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

I played an almost identical roadworn at a shop in San Jose yesterday it was by far the best bass of many I played. I was surprised to find it was MIM.

Congrats.
  4. davidjackson

davidjackson

I'm hearing that a lot - when people play these basses alongside others they generally come out top.

I know these instruments have been around a while but I wouldn't mind betting that they are starting to change the image for some people of what "Made in Mexico" means.

I've always worried that there is something ever so slightly racist about the Korean/Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/American quality 'hierarchy' anyway so maybe we are beginning to see that quality of design and construction is something that can improve globally rather than nationally.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice fiesta! I'm digging my 2t burst RW P!
  7. gomez hacienda

gomez hacienda

The MIM that I currently play (2013) is as good as ANY Fender I've owned. I've played Squiers that sounded and felt like MIAs.
    I am a charter member of the "Spend Less Than $1K" club. MIM is fine by me.
  8. gomez hacienda

gomez hacienda

+1
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have been flogging a 2010 since 2010. I'm interested to see that the "worn" spots on your new one are smaller than their equivalents on my bass. Mine has a burst finish, so perhaps that's part of it, but I like the smaller "worn" spots on yours. I thought the whole relic thing was silly, but that P felt so good I had to have it, never mind what it looks like. And, as you have said, it's not a bass you worry about scratching. That's worth a whole lot more than I realized.

By the way, the finish does continue to wear. The back of the neck on mine has worn through to what I assume is a thin layer of poly under the nitro finish. Likewise, parts of the body on mine are through the finish entirely. The finish is very thin, so if you like a thin finish, RW is the way to go.

The whole poser thing amused me so much that I put ashtrays and a tug bar on mine, and I have come to really like both.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Choose the form of the Destructor! Supporting Member

I just don't get paying more to get something beaten up looking.
  11. BillySid

BillySid Supporting Member

And that is not what this thread is about.
  12. portpc

portpc

Yes, I agree some import instruments have gotten better then they were.

I've got a KSD burner Ignition that plays great,
    I gig with all of the time & leave my heavier MIA P Bass at home.

For many years I thought the majority of imports were inferior, Well, they were until many modern contruction processes & ISO9000 QC procedures became commonplace.

I'd be careful though when defining it as your fear of the lowest common ethnic denominator being the reason for their non-acceptance.

If I complain about the P.O.T.U.S. I'll hear similar rhetoric.
    & It'll also be untrue..

13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Jeez dude, take off your "race goggles". The 'hierarchy' you refer to is more a matter of quality of the components involved, than about the ethnicity of the workers at the various factories.

Singling out the USA vs MIM...

Everyone knows (except perhaps you) that USA Fender guitars have been built largely by workers of Mexican heritage, going back decades. Decades. Yet, most Americans still consider the USA-built guitars to be of higher quality than MIM Fenders.

I prefer the MIM Fenders for what I see as a better value, but I also know the USA stuff is clearly a notch above, in terms of quality. The quality gap between the two is not big IMO, and we can discuss to death whether a USA Fender is worth the extra cost.

The only racism involved around here comes from people like you, who continually inject that assertion into the narrative. It's unfounded, divisive, and ought to be treated like any other hater/troll post.
  14. bobalu

bobalu

Just wondering what exactly you mean by not as well made? There isn't a MIA Road Worn to compare it to (outside of the Custom Shop). I have several MIA Jazz & P basses, as well as a RW Jazz, and it's as well made as the MIA's. I have also owned several of the Classic series (MIM) and the quality was stellar (fit,finish, construction). Hope you don't mis-interpret my post here, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, I'm just curious. :)
  15. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

OP, congrats on the new bass. I have one just like it.
  16. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I own a Road Worn and a Classic 50s P. Both these MIM basses are fantastic - the best new off-the-production-line Fenders I've played/owned, which includes 2 2008 MIA Standards that I parted with without regrets.

Regarding paying more for the Road Worn over the Classic 50s (arguably the same bass without the relicing): IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA $$.

Why? The finishing work is better.

The new 50s Classic is terrific but will need a complete fret-end dressing, which I will have to pay for. The Road Worn requires no such work, as it seems to have had this finishing done in the factory. Hence, it is worth the extra $$, which will not have to be spent at the guitar repair shop.

CASE CLOSED.
  17. davidjackson

davidjackson

Woah!!

No offence meant my friend. I said I have worried about it being ever so slightly racist. I'm neither saying that perception really exists, that there is any truth there, or that there is a perception that Mexican/Korean workers are not as skilled or competent as Japanese or American ones. I know Fender and other companies employ people of huge capability from all kinds of backfgrounds and that is a brilliant thing.

The whole point of this thread was how pleased I was with the quality of a MIM bass and I commented that I hope the MIM operation gets the praise it deserves for this range.

I'm not trying to divide anybody or make unfounded statements. I don't hate anybody (in the World, anywhere) and neither do I post to inflame or provoke.

Sorry if it came across the wrong way but I was just putting up a NBD post saying I loved my new MIM bass.
  18. Tbone76

Tbone76

Nice bass! I had the RW Jazz in Fiesta Red a few years ago. They really are well-made basses. I traded it for something new and shiny, and I regret it now! Mine had a quirk where the holes weren't drilled for the neck pup metal cover, but the thumbrest and bridge cover holes were there! I've never played the RW P, but I can only imagine that it's a great player. Congrats!
  19. Dragan

Dragan

roadworn series are great! that been said, classic 50 P bass is aswell helluva instruments!