1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD!: Fender USA Dimension V HH Deluxe!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by austentaciousC, Sep 23, 2013.

1. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBassVADHHC

REVIEW:

Alright, ill try to be as descriptive as possible here. I've owned over 70 basses over the years, and i've been a full-time musician since 2005, so hopefully my background tells you that my ears are pretty good, and my hands have experienced enough different axes to warrant an adequate opinion.

BASICS: Take a 2010 or newer american deluxe jazz bass, drop EBMM style pickups in it and give it an 18v super-high ouput preamp in it, make it a one piece slab ash body and there you have it. Im not sure why nobody has made the connection, but this bass is very "Roscoe Beck"-ish.

If i were to compare it to a Stingray, it sounds a bit more tame, the fretwork allows for lower action without buzz, the neck has a wider, flatter compound radius and the spacing is a bit wider at 18mm for the 5 string. It feels EXACTLY like my 2012 US deluxe jazz V, setup is the same with the pickups lower as the magnets are very large on this one. Does P-bass, stingray and a VERY mid heavy bridge burp. The middle position does jazz bass all day, making this more versatile than a J with all the familiar parts. Very balanced output across the spectrum, no major EQ needed here.

PROS: Great balance, flexible pre, familiar jazz bass feel, excellent alternative to a Stingray for those who dont like tighter spacing or the weight.

CONS: No SKB flight case, comes with older-style vintage case. "Badass" style bridge is well made, but the saddles only go down so far. If you have a very "Active" slap style, the 5-way switch may be a bit close and you may knock it around, but i havent had too many problems.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I may be right behind you. Please PLEASE post your first impressions as soon as you can after you get it. So, did you get the black and maple one?
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

Okay, I'm confused...

Is it NBD the moment you order a NB, or the moment you think about ordering a NB, or the day the NB actually arrives?
  4. two fingers

Totally up to the buyer. No rules. Anyone who tries to put rules in place over celebrating new bass excitement needs to get a life.
  5. electracoyote

electracoyote

Oh cool.

I'm gonna start a NBD thread about that $30,000.00 custom job I'm dreaming about. :hyper:

No limits! Life firmly intact.
  6. two fingers

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it when it arrives!

(See how that works?)
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

And an equally sincere "Thank You Very Much, Good Sir!"

(See how that works?)
  8. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

thought about it, but i already have a black/maple deluxe jazz v, so cheyenne it is. I will post a review wednesday!
  9. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Gonna go with a natural/maple Dimension, but I gotta pay for some other basses first!
  10. two fingers

They both look sweet. Can't wait to see what you think! I think this thing is going to be nice and versatile as it can be (especially after I carve it up and add passive capability).
  11. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I really want to try one of these. I have enough basses that I don't need anything, but this bass has really piqued my interest.
  12. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Hmmm... Pay for a course to improve my bass playing skills or buy this bass
    When I thought that all will be as planned... This bass gives me the GAS
  13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Excited at an order is, OK! It's coming!!! :hyper:
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

I get it. My bad. I'm used to clicking on a NBD thread and seeing a pic of OP's actual bass. Just felt a bit bait-and-switched.

And it was a rhetorical question. No one should get their panties in a wad over it.

I'm actually very excited about these basses and looking forward to seeing pics and hearing first-hand accounts of how they play and sound from my fellow TB'ers. Wishing OP only the best.
  15. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Posted pics from sweetwater, looks like i almost started a riot with tenured forumites! ;)
  16. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

This...From Fender ?

This could be a game changer; Awesomely Intriguing.
  17. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

These look interesting. I just heard about them recently. IMO, these may have been inspired by EB/MM Stingray HH and Sterling HH models.....5 position rotary switch, a pair of humbuckers, etc....
  18. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Truss rod adjustment wheel? EB/MM invention AFAIK....
  19. electracoyote

electracoyote

Nah. You did, however, essentially start a second Fender Dimension thread, and we can all now postulate and speculate on at least two threads until your bass actually arrives. Then we can all celebrate with you the actual "NBD" contained in your thread title.

Looking forward to it.
  20. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Yes, obvious.