1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

NBD (Finally!) American Special Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Megas3300, Jan 25, 2013.

1. After a shipping mishap by GC I was finally united with my new* American Special Precision Bass in Honeyburst!

I got mine at a "scratch & dent" price of $595, and due to the shipping mishap, I got a HSC for it for $50.

Still, for the price I paid, the brilliant maple neck, and the fact that it is a good vintage sounding MIA P bass, I'm happy as I'll get :D

You can see the one ding on the front towards the upper horn. From what I can tell the body is a three piece but the pieces match well.
    Some mid home remodel pics:
    (Flickr pics are not the same as the ones below)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44461607@N04/8414959129/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44461607@N04/8416054306/

Attached Files:

2. flewis

flewis Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Great looking bass......enjoy!

3. Sponsored by:

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet! I like those a lot. If only I could justify another bass... :bag:

5. Those are great basses. I liked mine better than my American standard and my deluxe.

6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Jul 13, 2007
    Wexford, PA
    Same here. They're gorgeous. I've been really tempted but I don't need another bass.

7. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Grats on a sweet bass!

8. gypsyfelon

gypsyfelon

Oct 24, 2014
    long island,ny
    Did a mod on mine. EMG Geezers. Black pick guard and bridge cover. Sounds and looks great!

Attached Files:

Tbone76 likes this.
  9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Nice score and great price for a great looking bass.

10. gypsyfelon

gypsyfelon

Oct 24, 2014
    long island,ny
    Thanks Oren. Wanted to share and educate
    Was one of those window shopping days at GC and it just called out to me. Been playing a jazz forever and it caused me to wake up and smell the precision!

Oren Hudson likes this.
  11. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Great find, even with a small ding on it, congrats! The finish on it is fairly thin, so get used to acquiring dents and dings on it. It's part of the Honeyburst charm! Mine is getting wear-polished on the back of the upper horn, the forearm contour, and the bottom of the lower horn. It's also earned a couple of dings over the past few months. Plus, the American Special neck profile (slim-C) is über-comfy, imo. Good thing you found one, as they've been discontinued this year.
    Here's mine:
    image.jpg
    EMG Geezer Butler pups, Fender aged pearl pg, and you can see the shine on the forearm contour.

Here's my old one:
    image.jpg
    2-piece body, Fender tort pg, and a replacement American Special rosewood board (the original maple board had warped). It's the one bass I wish I never traded away, and I kick myself for doing so! I went back the day after I traded it (to get it back), and it was already sold:crying: The grain was almost ash-like in appearance.

You could say that I have a healthy appreciation for the Honey-P!

12. Bass Pedal Geek

Bass Pedal Geek

Mar 1, 2015
    Disclosures:
    Bass-pedals.com
    You can't hear scratches and dents. Over time they even tend to come to look good! Congrats on a great bass at a great price :)

rllefebv and Tbone76 like this.
  13. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Yes those dents and scratches become part of the "road worn" mystique and will add to the cool-ness of that bass.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nice bass!

-robert