1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD-Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Dec 13, 2013.

1. kbaxter26

kbaxter26 Supporting Member

Just got a 1985 Peavey Foundation. Great sounding and terrific feel. Just need to adjust relief to my liking. Need the right tool. So, now, I need to decide if it pushes my 2000 MIM Fender Jazz off to the music store.
  2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Don't be surprised if it steals your heart...
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I think Foundations are a bit more aggressive than most Fenders and I like it that way! I hope I get another sometime.
  4. kbaxter26

Sorry, my phone won't send the pics. Black, rw board, drop d tuner, which I need to get rid of. The A string barely stays in the nut though.
  5. kbaxter26

Stay tuned, this may turn in to a FS post.
  6. kbaxter26

As much as I need the cash I would get for my Fender, the Foundation ain't pushing it out. Foundation is reallt killer, if I was mostly playing rock. But, it just ain't doing it for the jazz and blues I like.
    Dang, I was really hoping to love the Peavey more than my Fender.
  7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Don't worry, there are plenty of us Peavey lovers that will give it a good home if you decide to give it up
    ;)
  8. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

Congrats! You gotta love those Foundation SF pickups!
  9. kbaxter26

Super Ferrites are killer, now that I figured out the height I need them set at.
  10. kbaxter26

What size socket do I need to adjust truss?
  11. kbaxter26

Is it normal for the A string to be such a poor fit in the nut?
  12. kbaxter26

Any of you Peavey fans got a standard tuner to trade for this drop d?
  13. mech

mech

The truss rod nut is a 5/16" and the Gibson socket wrench/screwdriver works well.

Haven't had a problem with string fit in the nut slots on any of my Peavey's. Is the string too large/small? Can you post a pic?

I'd sell the D-tuner and get another regular tuner, D-tuners aren't cheap.

mech

edit: Glad you have the pickup height worked out. Super Ferrites are pretty hot and don't need to be too close to the strings. I set mine like this with the string fretted at the last fret and measured from the bottom of the string. The heights need to be tweaked a bit for different brand/gauge strings.
    Bridge...1/4" bass side....3/16" treble
    Neck.....5/16" bass side...1/4" treble.

If you do a search, you won't find any threads by people asking what pickups to use instead of Super Ferrites to get a better sound. :)
  14. kbaxter26

Unfortunately, I can't post pics from my phone. The A string was popping out of the nut, cause it was riding too high on the tuner lug.
  15. mech

mech

Easy fix but I've installed a three string bar on mine so there are no worries.

mech

[​IMG]
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

That sounds like an issue with the way it was strung more than anything... FWIW, I really like my Foundation 5 - it's becoming one of my main players...

- georgestrings
  17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Peaveys are killer.
  18. kbaxter26

This one is FOR SALE. Can email pics...$200 shipped.
  19. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 on the bar string retainer. Peavey started incorporating them on the later foundations, probably due to your problem
  20. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Just checking with all the comments,how well you all are digging on the Peavey Foundation,with Super Ferrite pickups. I have a Dyna Bass,with gold hardware,with Super Ferrites,1987, Candy Apple Red,just replaced the tuners,Schallers. OHSC. It is on classified for sale. With all the comments thought I would see if anyone,was interested? IMO, the Dyna Bass,is a souped up Foundation,built in 3band EQ.
    Make me an offer.
    Thanks

Attached Files: