NBD: Fretless Fender Blacktop Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Huge, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I was going to write a whole back story, but let's be honest, you just want to see the bass.:

[​IMG]

What it is:
    • Fender Blacktop Jazz body
    • Fretless Mighty Mite P neck (thanks Herbie Chestnutt)
    • Schaller BML Tuners
    • Labella White Tapes

It sounds super cool. As I've literally just started playing fretless my intonation needs some work, but I'm happy that my fingers are getting as close as they are already. I knew it was coming so I was trying to play on top of my frets for the last little bit.

Those Labella's are phenomenal, easy on the fingers, and still really bright. I fooled around with finger style and some slap and both sound really good. I'm definitely going to put a set on my fretted.

Anywho, I kind of wish I went fretless earlier in life.
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

That 's right down my alley. I have 2 heavily modded black lined Js and an unlined 'burst p/j. That's the 1st fret less black top I've seen-very cool. Enjoy the world of Fretless.
  3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Totally dig it!
  4. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

...BEAUTIFUL... PICS SAY IT ALL...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

That really is beautiful. I love the sound of ebonal.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Super cool bass congrats that neck looks killer my next goal is to get an unlined fretless I'm super intimidated but I'm ready for the challenge that is one sweet bass.
  8. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

Thanks for all the kind words. This was very much what I had in mind for look, black on black with a black board. I've had this bass in my head for years, but initially was a straight up P with a neck swap. I really enjoy the different sounds I'm able to get out of this configuration.

Based on my (exceedingly) limited experience, the side dots are really effective as a guide. It's the notes in between that are more problematic. Don't be too intimidated by an unlined board.