1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Fretless P-bass! (plus a string question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strost, Jan 8, 2014.

1. strost

strost Supporting Member

So I got this beauty today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:hyper:

So far everything seems great - neck is straight, good action, and it sounds perfect to my ears. And the condition is top notch for a 37 year old bass.

Only problem is that it came with rounds (even though the seller indicated that it only wore flats). I don't even want to play it with rounds so I need to replace those ASAP.

So what flats should I buy for it?

Thanks!
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Labella white tapewounds.
  3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I can't help you with strings (Labella's I guess), but I had to tell you that I love that bass.

L-O-V-E it.

That is all.
  4. MD

MD

Nice score.
    Do you want flats for their tone/feel, or to protect the lovely slab of maple?
  5. roskuski

roskuski

I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on mine. To me they make it sound like a P-bass from the 70's :)
    Think Frampton Comes Alive. I tried Fender tapewounds and they just did not do it for me.

Mine also has a maple fingerboard.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool bass. Would love a Precision fretless. Hope it works well for you.
  7. Interius

Interius

Upon seeing this, my middle name suddenly changed itself to Jealous... :)
  8. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Lovely. The brown finish really sets off the maple neck. Is that the original finish. For years, I used nylon tape wounds on mine, don't recall the manufacturer (this was the 70s) but if you want a more roundwound sound, try d'Adarrio chromes.

Here's my 71 ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389233085.804596.jpg
  9. DogBone

DogBone

Hmm...that bass looks a little green.

Oh, nevermind, it's just me.

Ha ha. Seriously, Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats would be the rolls royce of flats for that bass. TI flats flat out SING and have a nice woody overtones with a strong midrange.

But if the TI's are too spendy and their tension a tad too noodley, then you would have a hard time going wrong with good ole D'Addario Chromes. Priced right, goldilocks just right "normal tension", and nice bright semi-metallic singing tone with great mids.

And again that is a fricking GORGEOUS bass! :)
  10. strost

strost Supporting Member

Both. I would get flats even if it were ebony.
  11. strost

strost Supporting Member

Thanks all. I am lucky boy.

btw I am amazed at how light this is. I'd guess 8 or 8.5. Still feels weird to me as my main bass is 10.5.

As for strings, I am going for woody tone.

Not sure I wanna do the TIs. I know I should but I've never been a big string guy. I've bought 2 other used basses and never changed the strings. If this had flats, I'd just keep them.
  12. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sadowsky (1st preference) or Chromes... Lots of m'wah and overtones. TI's were too floppy for me - and I gave them a year to grow on me. The Sadowsky's need a bit of a break-in, like all flats, but they do deliver the goods! I've used them for well over 5 years now, perhaps 7 even, and they just get smoother and better sounding...

That IS a gorgeous, beautiful, sexy P-Bass!
  13. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

TIs really do sing on fretless, but the new LaBella "white" (actually clear) tapewounds have an attack/decay that more closely approximates an upright bass. They are smoother and slicker than the TIs as well (and a bit cheaper).

That's a beautiful bass, congrats!
  14. KOOL BREEZE

KOOL BREEZE

I've said it a thousand times, tape wound bass strings will change your life. I have been using the D'addario ETB92's for a while but the next set will be the La Bella white tape wounds. Aside from killer tone and buttery play-ability, they last and last. There is almost no tonal change from a new set to a set that is four months old, IMO.
  15. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have 3 basses with black tapes -Fender , Rotosound and DR Black Beauties and plan to try the La Bella whites next. Everyone says they are great and I think would look good on this bass as well . Always liked the walnut Fender basses and Strats as well .
  16. strost

strost Supporting Member

Here is a pic with the case (original but pretty rough). I need a new case if I plan to take it out of my house.

[​IMG]
  17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Wow that is frickin awesome. I'm jealous. :)
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Man is that sweet!!!!! she is screaming I mean screaming for some Labella Jamerson's
  19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That's a beauty!

I use TI's on all my fretted P basses but a recently acquired Jazz bass came with GHS 3025 Precision Flats and they are very nice for the mwah sound. These are very light strings though. This bass is only visiting here for a couple days but I like these strings enough that I am going to use them on a fretless I am building for myself.
  20. strost

strost Supporting Member

So I picked up a set of Chromes at the local shop. So far I am finding them a bit metallic sounding. Will that go away?

I might swap them for the old Fender flats I have on my Fretless Jazz.

I think I just don't like new strings.

Maybe I'll try Labellas (tapewound) next if I can't get these to work.