NBD: Fretless Ric :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    New bass day for me. Just got in an 07 Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless.

I missed the delivery yesterday because they delivered at 7 pm.

I was out tonight but my wife caught the delivery for me. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm excited, I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

For now here's a from the sale for now.
    [​IMG]
  2. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

That's beautiful, man! I'm not a fan of the way Rics play, but a nice bass is a nice bass. How's the sound compared to a fretted Ric?
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Had no idea they make em fretless, very cool.
  4. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius Supporting Member

Very nice.
    Awe man, I miss my Ric fretless.
    I modded it with a Bartolini Q filter but it was sweet. Bought it new in 1990, all black binding and hardware too. Best part was I got dealer price which was $550.00. ....pardon me while I go cry for selling it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Beautiful bass.

Back in the late '70s I had the chance to try a green one. I have no idea if Ric made green basses or if it was a refin. I was into keys at the time and didn't really appreciate what I was playing. I'd love to try one again sometime. I don't typically care for Rics, but I'd give a fretless one a serious check out.
  7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Cool! I just got a fretless Ricky a couple of months ago; an '80 4001. I'm having a lot of fun with mine. Enjoy!!!
  8. woodyng

woodyng

Congrats,I love Ric 4000 series basses,but i've not ever played a fretless one,would love to try one!
  9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Hey all... finally got to play it.

It shipped with rounds on it, I probably should have tried it at least once with them on but I immediately changed them out for some D'Addario Nylon Tapewounds I had. I don't know if I'm going to keep the tapes on there or put flats or halfwounds or whatever, but for now the tapes look and sounds pretty ice. It's got the same feel as a fretted ric, but it's got it's own sound. On the neck pickup it sounds very much like an upright. It gets a bit more of the ric growl on the bridge but without a better way to say it, it's more "refined." It doesn't have as much of the clank, I guess due to the lack of metal frets.

I can't get over the figuring on the fretboard, it's pretty crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Yeah, I feel the same way about the tone. Very good description.
    I'm using TI flats on mine.
  11. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    In the past I've always used higher tension flats (Rotosound or Daddario usually), but I've been liking the lighter tension of the Tapes. I might look at using the TI Flats.
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

You need to post a better picture of the fingerboard. :D
  13. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'll be honest: I put the TI flats on there because it's what I had in the house when I bought the bass! If I had really thought about it, I might have used Roto flats for the slightly higher tension (and, I guess thanks to Chris Squire, I always associate Rics with Rotos), or Ernie Ball flats, which I like on my fretless P-Bass, but the TIs were sitting there smiling at me, so on they went. I've been very happy with the results.