1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: G&L L2000 Trubute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeattleSunn, Mar 21, 2014.

1. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

(UPDATE)
    My guitar player was in the market for a bass and liked the L2000 I got. I sent him a link to another L2000 and he Purchased it, so now we have matching L2000's. My bass is at Mike Lull's getting the neck swapped to the fretless ebony 1986 G&L neck.

I did a quick semi set up on the bass and added foam to the pick up springs, and replaced the battery, and it sounds great. I have been getting lots of different sounds from the bass. I am suprised, but shouldn't be at how close I can get to a jazz and precision sound. It is a solid bass, and will work well for what I will use it for. The frets are a bit wide and hang over the fretboard a bit, but I will shave them back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(pictures from seller of my bass)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(pictures from seller of my guitar players bass)

in the mid '80's I purchased a G&L L1000 used fretted bass and ordered a fretless neck from the factory to make a fretless. I love the lows and power of the L1000 and it is a great fretless, but it didn't have the high end of a jazz. I have read about the k modification of the L2000 and thought this would be a great way to have the best of both worlds. I will be reuiting the original neck with the L1000 and using the fretless on the L2000.

After playing on it for a couple of hours I have a feeling I just might eventually get another L2000 or L2500 and leave it fretted.

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Beautiful , still on my wish list .

3. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

Thanks.

If anyone has a diagram for the K Mod, or any thoughts regarding that I would appreciate it. I love the L1000 and would like to have a sumilar 3rd selection on the parrellel/series switch if that is possible.:confused:

Another question is how often do you need to change/refresh the battery on a bass like this. The pick ups are passive and I think it has a preamp of some type on board.:confused:

4. Outsider

Outsider

Nice bass. I recently go tone too. I found a document on the k-mod, I'll post a link to it tomorrow morning. It's by a guy named Dave.

With regards to the battery, if you leave the bass in passive mode then you don't need the battery. Some people remove the battery and use the active/passive switch as a mute button.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

Thanks, there seems to be quite a bit of discussion previosly about the K mod, OMG, outer and inner single coils. I love having the choices, just need to figure out what I want and how to wire it.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

This document, in several forms, has been floating around the net for a long time:

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/g&l_tech/daveplaysbass_coil_mods.pdf

I installed the parallel/outside singles/series w/OMG on my '83 L2000 and plan to install it in my other two L2Ks at some point.

I find the single coil position to be very useful when I need a little more clarity. The pickups have very high output and can get a little muddy sounding in some situations. With that mod, the bass is unbelievably versatile.

A battery, in mine anyway, lasts longer than a year. How much longer? I don't know because I change them after a year just to be safe. The bypass is safety enough, though; passive mode is truly bypassing the preamp so it works just fine with a dead battery. Many players prefer running these basses passive anyway, but I use the preamp (in the normal, non-treble-boost setting) most of the time. Personally, I find the treble boost to be at too high a frequency so it just makes the sound sizzly, but that's my ear and others may disagree.

L2000s make excellent fretless basses. Mine's a monster, and it's one of the ones I haven't added the K-mod to yet. That will only make it better!

Edit: all three of my L2Ks have the OMG caps installed. I hardly ever use that setting, but when I need it, look out! It's nicknamed OMG for a reason!

8. Outsider

Outsider

I think this is a newer version of the doc: https://home.comcast.net/~carol7david/GL_Wiring.doc

I added the OMG setting onto my L2k with a push/pull pot. I didn't like it at all. The sound difference was waaaay too subtle and definitely not "OMG". When I asked around for sound clips from people who claimed that the OMG mod was awesome, I never managed to get any. Can you provide one with OMG on and off? I also double checked that I had wired them in correctly, and it was definitely right. My theory is that people confuse series with OMG.

9. Technicality

Technicality

I measured the preamp current draw on my L2000 Tribute for this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/how-much-current-does-your-bass-preamp-use-892831/index4.html

As of posting its still the lowest measured. The battery lasts forever. I don't even bother unplugging the jack when its not in use (which you are supposed to do to turn off the preamp, as its drawing power even when in passive mode), as it lasts so absurdly long even if I leave it connected.

I've only ever experienced what it sounds like when the battery is running out once, when I left the original stock battery in for a couple of years or so. It just starts to sound like you have a distortion pedal connected, so that time it was an obvious warning.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

I can't, I'm afraid, as I don't have any recording equipment at home and, even if I did, the OMG caps are not a mod in my basses - they are from the eighties and the caps are stock. I don't have them switched, so there is no easy way for me to A/B the series setting with and without the OMG caps.

Your theory, in my case at least, is off the mark. The OMG is provided by caps in the circuit that affect one coil only when the two coils are in series. It changes the resonant freq of the pickup and provides a bass boost when the series setting is selected. I have only played a few newer L2000s that don't have the caps (I think G&L discontinued them around '91... maybe?) and the difference to my ear was that the non-OMG basses had more clarity, but less WHOOMP! (Okay, that's not really a word.) It was hardly a scientific test since I didn't have my basses with me to compare them to, but I play the L2K a lot and have a pretty good feel for what that OMG setting sounds like through a wide variety of rigs.

Sorry that wasn't as helpful as you had hoped.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lovely finish. Congrats.

12. arjune

arjune

I had a Tribute in that same finish. I don't remember why I sold it, but I just ended up buying another one!

Congrats!

13. Outsider

Outsider

:( No worries.

It's also possible that I was expecting more from the OMG mod... since it's called "OMG" it set my expectations quote high.
    When I asked someone for an A/B with/without OMG, he then admitted that he did confuse series with the OMG and that his OMG had actually been removed.

No worries.

14. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

Thanks for all the help, I will play the bass as a fretless with the stock configuration for a while before modding the electronics, but I am interested in adding a single coil option eventually.