NBD! G&L LB-100 - WOW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Feb 9, 2014.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Wasn't planning on getting another bass, but once I picked this one up, I just couldn't put it down. The basses that G&L are coming out with right now are thoroughly impressive. I'm pretty blown away at the quality you get given the price-point.

Anyway, here it is!

[​IMG]

I put some D'Addario Chromes on it and took it to its first gig yesterday doing mostly funky blues and motown stuff. It was awesome.

G&L claims this bass has an extended range, but I swear it sounds way more focused than a Fender P-bass. It's just absolutely perfect to me.

Here's the kicker: I've always disliked the sound of P-basses... ESPECIALLY with flatwounds. This LB-100 is the cat's meow!
  2. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

Awesome!!! I have endless love for G&L. I haven't played an american or tribute that I did not think was absolutely fantastic. The white on white looks super clean with that ebony board. Good score. You'll have to write a little something up in regard to that alnico pup.
  3. GroovinOnFunk

It's a mint pickguard and a nice dark rosewood fingerboard. quartersawn neck with light tint gloss.
    vintage and classy lookin'. but honestly, it's more about the tone and feel of that thing. it looks sweet, sure, but it sounds and feels even better!
  4. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

Ahhh. I thought that could have been mint, but I went ahead and took a stab at white. And that IS some dark rosewood. That had me totally fooled. I agree 100% with the tone/feel comment.

G&L fanboy here.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GroovinOnFunk

+1... I have an M-2500 on the way as well with ebony board.
  7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Congratulations! That's one nice looking bass.
  8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Beauty - and the best finish combo possible, IMO.
    HEY - we would LOVE to hear a sound clip of this bass!
    If you have an interface please play a few straight-in sample runs for us; alternate pick and fingers!
    Thanks!
  9. GroovinOnFunk

Well, I can tell you there's 0% chance of me recording a sample playing with a pick. I'm not one of those "bass must be played with fingers only" kind of guys, but I don't personally enjoy nor am I good at using a pick. But I'll try to get some samples as soon as I can with some fingerstyle playing, tone at 0%, 50%, and 100% and maybe even some slapping (though slap tone with flats isn't my favorite).
    I have an active J-bass and am getting an M-2500, so this is truly my vintage thump-machine funk bass. Anytime I need to get a little more modern I'll go for the Sadowsky and when I want to go ultra modern and hi-fi I'll go with the M-2500. Can't think of anything (short of a fretless) that I'm missing with those 3 powerhouse basses.
  10. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

That'll be great and much appreciated - not much chance to hear one of these without ordering one first! Thanks a lot :cool:
  11. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Oh. Man. That is just stunning. Your color combo is one of several that I drool over on the G&L Bass Configurator (aka OCD Time Waster). Antique White, mint, rosewood, light vintage tint. Aaaahhh!

Also loving Sonic Blue with mint, CAR with white pearloid and matching headstock, and of course, 3TSB with tort. A new LB-100 is in my future too, at least I hope so. So much so that I declined to buy a vintage LB-100 yesterday locally. (Quite a shift from my usual "gotta have it" mentality.)

Congrats!! Which neck?

:bassist:
  12. GroovinOnFunk

Standard #12 neck. It's perfect. I'm used to 5-strings so #8 feels too small to me
  13. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Beauty, 'grats.
  15. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Nice! Does this one have the alnico pickup?
  16. GroovinOnFunk

Yup, it's their take (read: improvement) on a classic Fender P-bass.
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Wow that is pretty congrats.
  18. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

Anyone have a link to their configurator? I can never seem to find it on their site.
  19. strost

strost

20. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

Excellent, thanks strost!
  21. Handyman

Handyman

If I remember right, Ed Friedland said the LB-100 will be the next G&L demo he puts up on You Tube.

I played one of the 90's era LB-100s recently - it had an awfully nice P bass thing going on.