NBD: G&L USA L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Hey folks -
    I've heard of G&L in the past and never really played any of their instruments. But after doing some research, I decided to take a trip to my local GC. I'd had my mind set on a Fender American Deluxe or a Musicman Stingray.

First I tried a Musicman Stingray Classic. It felt like butter in my hands--well built and beautiful. However, when I plugged it in, it felt lacking. And I couldn't get a lot of tones out of it. It just sounded... dead. It could have been the specific bass, but I knew it wasn't for me--especially with a price tag of $1800.00. I know they are wonderful instruments, so for those that might take offense to these statements, it's just my opinion which means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Secondly, I tried a Fender American Deluxe. Same thing... Played nice, well built, and beautiful to look at. But something about the pre-amp just sounded stale. It didn't really pop or have that classic Fender tone. At least not compared to my Fender American Standard.

So, I grabbed a G&L USA L-2000 they had used off the wall. Personally I think it's one ugly bastard without paint. I mean I love natural Fenders, but this thing is not pretty. I plugged it in, and WOW! This bass has tons and tons of tones. I couldn't believe how many different sounds I got out of this thing just messing with the bass controls. Although it didn't come with a case, it was only $599.00. They said that someone may have marked it down that far by accident, but they were selling it to me anyway. FTR, I have no way of knowing if this is a counterfeit USA model or what as I don't know enough about G&L. But why anyone would choose to counterfeit a G&L, I don't know. This will be my funk bass for slapping, pulling, popping, etc. etc. And it will deliver that in spades. Here are the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thepest

thepest

Nice!
    Love G&L's

3. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Congrats on the new bass! The only bass I have ever regretted selling is an L-2000 in translucent green. My SB1 almost makes up for it, but I want both! G&L make some of the best and most versatile basses out there.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Perfect! congrats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob C

Bob C

I can't see any reason to suspect it's counterfeit. That IS a great price, especially if it's brand new.

The G&L L2000 Tribute Series basses, made overseas go for a little less than $700. Maybe a GC employee mistook it for one of those when he/she marked the price.

Tributes are supposed to be great too. But yours clearly says it was made in Fullerton California, USA.

BTW, while the satin natural finish is not flashy, I don't think that bass is ugly at all. Congrtats.

7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I don't think it's ugly either - congrats! I had one once.

8. Knavery

Thanks guys. I noticed the neck is a lot bigger than on my Fender American Jazz, but it's very easy to play. At least it's a lot wider at the nut.

I think I'm starting to grow up and buy instruments based on playability and sound rather than for looks and a name.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Congrats on a GREAT score. That bass is versatile enough to go with you... wherever you might go.. on your musical journey. Those MFD pickups are some of the biggest sounding pickups made... no need to ever upgrade.

If you REALLY hate the finish, you could just get the body painted any color you want. Then, you'd nave a bass that not only sounds and plays great, but would be customized to YOUR taste!

You should seriously consider this a long-term KEEPER.

10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I've been a G&L guy for decades love the color of yours.Here's mine

Attached Files:

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

One more

Attached Files:

12. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

13. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Ugly? That is a work of art, my friend. Great score! They are hard to find, and being a carpenter, I love that wood grain. You can see it was made of quality wood. Sell before you paint it! ;)
    the picture of the grain in the head stock gave me woody (so to speak).
    fnord!

14. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Congratulations on purchasing a truly beautiful bass.

15. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

+1. Love it. Too pretty to paint.

16. Knavery

Thanks guys. These responses made me smile.

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Great score! It's a recent one too; those metal serial number plates started only a few years ago. Looks like you might have a quartersawn neck as well. I got one standard on my 2010 JB, but they're an option now. I love G&L, and might pick up another in the next few weeks.

18. Knavery

That would be interesting to find out. Is it easy to tell if it's quartersawn? The wood grain runs parallel along the length of the neck, but beyond that, I wouldn't know what characteristics to look for.

19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Congrats.

Did they mention what the body wood is? Looks unusual, is it one of those LTD edition G&L's, with limba, korina, or some such wood?

20. ster

ster Supporting Member

Wow. great score. I would have jumped on it myself. Every one I have ever laid my hands on sounded incredible. I think yours looks amazing too.

21. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Excellent bass at a sweet price. My one G&L is the only bass I am sure I'll never sell, a classic that I've owned for over 30 years! Enjoy it!