NBD: Genz Benz Contour 500 + Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Icculus, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Icculus

Icculus

Got the CTR500-115T thanks to the online deal that TB made me hip to. Guitar Center matched the price, but didn't have the cab in stock so I got that straight from Andrew's Music. The cab is the 210 version. Both arrived on the same day.

I spent about an hour with it and I really like it so far. Between my active 5 string, my P with flats, and this amp's EQ, it seems there aren't many sounds I can't find so far. I'll report back with some details after I take it to a practice session tomorrow.

Crappy cell phone pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Awesome stuff dude ! Great to hear it's rock in' your world. Love my GB... Those deals were/are crazy good.
    :)

Edit: can/have you stacked vertically ?

3. oleskool

oleskool

This is one of those hidden gems of you don't mind the weight.

4. Icculus

Icculus

Yep. i stacked them vertically. The pic was from when I first set them down in the room

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388197146.555180.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

7. Icculus

Icculus

All for less than $600 to my doorstep! It really doesn't feel significantly heavier than my GK MB115, which is marketed as an "ultra lightweight" combo.

I basically bought this thing blindly. Never played it and only heard one short YouTube clip (there really aren't any demos). Thankfully, the price was so low and it has a 3 year transferable warranty, so resale should not be a problem if I ever decide to move on.

8. Icculus

Icculus

Whoops! Just realized I typed NBD instead of NAD. I never made a thread for my RW Precision, so consider them combined

9. Icculus

Icculus

Just noticed this morning that the sticker on the back says 200W @ 8 ohms. Everything else I've seen has said 300W. Hmm... wondering if this is a typo or an older model. Manufactured in 05/2012 and shares the same model # as the one I ordered from Andrew's. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388247658.651596.jpg

10. Belgand

Belgand

Just got mine in on Friday and I'm still deep into trying to dial in a tone. I have to say though that I'm not all that impressed with the clean, flat tone. Nothing wrong with it per se, but it's a little too clean and hi-fi... time to crank that gain and give it some personality.

Actually, that's been the biggest problem. Well, part of it at least. This thing is coming in loud. Even with the gain and pre-volume set at about noon and nine, respectively, I'm finding that the master volume can only go up two or three clicks before it starts getting loud enough that I'm worried about my neighbors complaining. Getting a nice OD tone out is great, but I'd rather not get kicked out my apartment.

Trying to find a nice volume/gain setting is tricky as a result. Even going for a clean tone it's a constant mess of fiddling with gain, pre-volume, and master volume trying to get a solid gain, but keep it from getting too loud without turning the volume down so low that it's inaudible. When I go for more of an overdriven tone it just gets even more complicated. I'd think I could just crank the gain and back off the pre-amp volume to compensate, but that tends to roll it back enough that I no longer get my O/L light coming on and I go back into a cleaner tone.

11. Icculus

Icculus

Did you get the extension cab as well? I remember you said you were on the fence about it… just curious if yours has "200W @ 8 ohms" too.

12. Belgand

Belgand

No, I didn't get the extension. I might be kicking myself in the future, but I really don't need it at the moment.

It's definitely weird though. The GB website shows 300W @ 8 ohm as the power handling on the ext cabs. At the same time check your amp section. I know mine is saying 300W @ 8 ohm and that's what really matters here. On the cabs it's just how much they can handle, not what the amp is putting out.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

The 210 and 115 in both the Contour and Focus models are 300 watts. The 200 watt sticker appears to be a typo, we are working on it. Sorry guys.