NBD: Get 'Em while you can...A Write Up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starmann, Jan 4, 2014.

1. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Hey all:

Here is a Diamond I found.

Apparently, there are a few places with "left over" Brand New Epiphone custom shop Explorers. When I first saw this I presumed it was new for 2014. However, it appears they were all made in 2010 according to Epi's serial numbers.

Anyway, here we have a $399 bass that is frankly, INCREDIBLE.

Now to be fair even with it's sub par usual quality control, I am a Gibson fan. However, Again, this is an Epiphone. And believe it or not quality control on this Korean made instrument as modern made Indonesia Epiphones, it is perfect.

I owned a limited edition $1400 silver burst 2012 Explorer and frankly thought it was very good. However, anyone who has ever played an Explorer knows that although 34" scale neck it's placement on the "cool" explorer shape makes you "reach for the top";) At the time I found I was not playing it enough and sold it. But to anyone who hasn't played a T Bird or an Explorer you really are missing a "cool" low end experience.

The Body is made of Korina which is light for a Bass this big. The Poly finish is as nice as any high end Black finish you can get...Either Nitro or Poly.

This Epi with it's non standard individually adjustable bridge, screwed to the body, vs the ubiquitous Gibson/Epi three point bridge is Great. It allows individual string height adjustment unlike the three point.

The pickups give all the thunder of Gibson's which they might be, without any mud. And unlike the Gibson, there is a three way switch which is very convenient for "many different" tones.

The neck is about as wide at the brass nut as a P bass. For me I like this as the P Bass neck is one of my favorites. For T Bird players whose neck is like a Jazz, you will have to "reach" further.

The frets are smooth and "dressed" well without any rough edges. And the action is adjustable very low with the Flats I use without any buzz.

The killer Gold hardware is a plus. And if these are truly leftovers from '10, the gold plating is well done as it looks as shiny as if it were made yesterday.

Bottom line, if you ever wanted an Explorer this bass is near perfect...The $399 price is just icing on the cake as it compares and even beats it's 2012 $1300+ Gibson sibling.

The only complaint is the lack of a case. However, I found an answer to this by finding a vendor that actually makes a well padded custom fit, Explorer Only bag for $70, And its quality is fantastic....And it also has storage:bassist:

In Conclusion, and I usually don't do "write ups" here....This is one really/cool pointy bass, at an unheard of price.

Ever want one but couldn't justify $1300...Here she is....Get one while you still can:bassist:

What do you think:bassist:

[​IMG]

2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That is just magnificent.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I think that chest of drawers is gorgeous.

:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

fender flats? nice bass

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool bass. Congrats.

8. starmann

Yes Sir, Good Source tells me they are made by D'addario...So chromes for $10 less, and cool green silk:bassist:

9. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Sharp eye.

10. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

To me they sound just a tad different. but for sure the price point is awesome. These mellow nice as well. Have one set just over a year and just now loosing some zingy, still nice tone.

Do we get sound clips?

11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Nice....very.

I've been looking for the right KBX for some time and this just might push me in a slightly different direction. I've looked at your original post a couple times and I can't see where you got yours.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great looking bass congrats.

13. starmann

Thanks All, I highly recommend one:bassist:

14. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

Cool bass! The Fender flats are definitely different than Chromes, though. I use both (on different basses), and they're both great. They're similar, but the Chrome are a bit brighter, and the Fender flats have a bit more thump.

15. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1

Bass is nice too

16. DogBone

DogBone

Gorgeous bass!

I don't own and Epi bass, but between my oldest son, my youngest son, and the two guitarists in my band I am surrounded by excellent Les Pauls, and the Epiphones definitely hold their own compared to the Gibsons.

The phrase "Epiphone is the new Gibson" gets thrown around quite a bit. :)

17. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

+1

18. starmann

Thanks all........

And yes Gibson I think is learning a lesson from Epi. But the photo below shows my Tbirds and the sunburst and white are Epi classics with Gibson pickups at a fraction of the price, yet equal.

The Walnut is a '14 and is a beautiful piece of wood and quality was very good....Again, learning from their "little brother"

[​IMG]

19. starmann

If your looking for the "classic" Classic Rock Bass, This is the best $400 you'll ever spend:bassist:

20. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

nice flock of 'birds ya got there.

21. starmann

Thanks A Lot :bassist: