NBD Gibson EB4 2014

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am Soma, Mar 7, 2014.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Background: So I must admit I was super nervous about ordering this bass. Never owned a Gibson and have heard everything from horror stories to praise. Every bass I've owned the last 10 years has been in the 2k range so finding a bass I was interested in for 1k also made me a little scared, but I decided to take a leap of faith in a Gibson 2014 EB4 in gold.

Purchasing: Purchased from sweetwater as they had a demo model in pristine condition for cheap with the full warranty. Seriously no one even compares in customer service to sweetwater. They called me no less than 5 times to let me know about the bass, what they were doing to set it up, and even called me to let me know there was a bit of fret sprout. They even did a complete re-setup when they found out I tune in F-C-G-A. Couldn't be happier.

Neck: Well built and I say this from a Modulus, Rick, Am Fender perspective. No fret sprout, no random glue left behind. Frets were nicely dressed and the rosewood fretboard is pristine. I would compare the neck to a slightly smaller Rick. Was a little sticky but 2 minutes of polish and wiping down made it a breeze to play. The set neck really made reaching the upper register a breeze.

Body: A lot of peeps complain about the finish on these basses. I freaking love it. The flat gold looks great and the light coat lest you see some of the grain. Couldn't find any errors in the coat. SUPER light. Pickups and knows all appear to be built great. Bridge is minty. No neck dive whatsoever and is substantially lighter than my 14 Am Deluxe Precision.

Case: I don't usually post about cases, but this is the nicest looking case I've ever seen. Brown with gold Gibson, padded handle, plush interior, etc.

Sound: First passive bass in a while so I had to re-EQ my pedals and amp but by the gods this thing rips. Not muddy at all and the whole band was very complimentary. Really hard to describe but the lows seem more middy - which I love. I really go more for a Caleb Schofield tone and it was really easy to dial in. Really loved the ability to switch each pickup between single and dual coil. Tone knob will always be at a ten for me as the lower you go the more vintage/bassy it gets. 20 years of playing and I haven't heard a bass like this. Not saying its for everyone - just floats my boat :)

Overall: Really really really happy I didn't listen to everyone that says Gibson can't build basses. I don't see one flaw on this bass and I'm very picky. I will say that sweetwater probably had something do with this and their 55 point inspection. As we all know judging a bass by how you find it at GC really isn't fair. I'm on a high right now, but could honestly see myself purchasing another. This bass is not for you if you like tiny necks or dislike the paint job. I got a killer deal for an american case that sounds gnarly with a top notch case. Some complaints I've seen are about getting some chorus sounds through the pickups. I changed the strings right away (I only play Aurora blacks) and never experienced this.

I'll post some pics tonight.
  2. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

Nice review. I am contemplating a red EB. I think the gold looks cool in the pics i have seen but i prefer seeing the grain. Please post again after you have lived with her a while and played with the coil splitting a bit.
  3. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

We need pics. Nay, we DEMAND PICS!!
  4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Show some pics!! The pics I've seen of the bullion gold EB4 seem to show the wood grain slightly, and the color itself looks sweet. Glad you had a good experience so far. The neck joint on those looks like it would be comfortable. Congrats!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. I am Soma

7. I am Soma

8. I am Soma

9. I am Soma

10. I am Soma

11. Tbone76

Tbone76

That is a sweet looking bass. I like how the wood grain still shows thru.
  12. I am Soma

Me too. A lot of the haters rip on that but I dig.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass and yeah Sweetwater's customer service is almost too good you can buy a cable and you'll get phone calls and emails like you just bought a complete rig I've had the same rep for a long time.
  14. Tbone76

Tbone76

My Warwick has a raised-grain finish, and I personally think it's classy look all around. It gives the finish a 3-d look and feel to it. A lot of people like the highly polished wood under a thick poly coat look, some like relics, etc. Plenty of choices out there, and no need to hate!
  15. sbassface

sbassface Supporting Member

that's purdy
  16. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. How's the sound?
  17. I am Soma

Really digging the sound so far. Had a short jam the other night but tonight is the first full out practice so I'm stoked!
  18. pudgychef

pudgychef

Gorgeous bass. Congrats!
  19. DanGouge

DanGouge

Wow, that looks sweet!
  20. roamershaker

roamershaker

yes the Gibson 2013 EB gr88 bass i bought one last year at GC , had a few problems , the saddle was maxed out on the E string could not tighten it anymore for corect intonation , i changed to difernt strings and that seemed to settle that problem dont know why, also the finish is natural had to buff it out some was a little runny ;.;. so after tweeking it it is a gr8 bass ;.;. it floats my boat also;.;.;.gr8 vintage tones so far , still experimenting.... i have been playing Bass for 40 er so yrs '/'/'/
  21. OutToPlayJazz

OutToPlayJazz

I've played a couple of these new Gibson basses recently and they seem really good and consistent. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's the first Gibson bass I've played that I'd actually consider buying. Excellent playability and the grain showing through the finishes is nothing new. Take a look at some very expensive coloured stain Warwick basses and you'll find they're finished in a very similar way. Vintage tones seem to be plentiful, but even with the coil taps on the twin volume pots, I couldn't find anything modern sounding - Not exactly a downside, but it's at least consistent with the rest of the Gibson bass line.

All in all, I'd say put some flats on the 2014 EB, groove and enjoy :)