NBD - Gibson SG Faded

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I went to Sam Ash to try out an amp and ended up buying a bass. I used to have one in faded brown but sold it. They gave me a significant discount due to 2 scratches on the front. I've been wanting another one of these ever since I sold the brown one. Feels great, sounds great. I don't mind the 3 point bridge either. What I do mind are Gibson strings. They stunk on my old one and they stink on this one too. The A string is dead and there's weird overtones coming out of the G. I switched to a set of daddario nickels I had lying around temporarily till my 49-109 labella flats arrive in the mail. I haven't played a shortscale in a while. I forgot how much easier they are to play.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

These are cool, and a great value with Gibson on the headstock. Nice score! Especially if you got a nice discount. I personally would only worry about those for resale value, but if you are in the habit of collecting interesting basses then you could hardly go without an SG. Super win.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

About a year+ ago, there was some insane stacked-discount $599 deal on these with w/OHSC and I came about this >< close to getting one with the intention of shooting a quick gloss coat on the body and leaving the neck matte.

The thing that stopped me was the way the saddles just don't accommodate the voiced length of typical Es and As. :(

Everyone was all, "but...but you can swap out the bridge to this $168 aftermarket job an' it'll be awesummmm!"...but it just turned me off.

I almost certainly made a bad mistake blowing it off, and have periodically regretted it since.

If a deal like that pops up again, I'll certainly make a move. I think these are great deals at discount.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great basses congrats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Funny how that happens isn't it? :D
    Congrats on the new SG.

I'm still loving mine! :bassist:

7. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I do wish they'd release the EB3L again.

Yours is very pretty. I am the jealous!

8. UserName9000

UserName9000

Yes! I always buy used, and really look for the stuff that's beaten all to hell or has cosmetic flaws. You get great deals that way.

9. Gorn Captain

Does anyone know if my SG fingerboard is rosewood or baked maple? It's a 2012. Not much defined grain to it. I don't really care, but I'm curious.

10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Nice to hear that you got a good deal, and congrats. Which Sam Ash? I was at Carle Place/Westbury the Saturday before President's Day.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Gibson usually uses Rosewood on the fretboard

12. Gorn Captain

Wasn't there an issue with Gibson recently where they couldn't use rosewood for a while?

That's the one. I picked that bass to try out an amp and ended up buying the bass. It felt too good to put back.

On a side note, they just got a bunch of "custom" basses that look pretty cool. I've never heard of any of the brands but a few of them sound and look pretty good.

13. ggvicviper

...and I have played the bass you own. Enjoy!

By the way, when you were there, did you happen to notice if they still had the blonde 60th Anniversary P still there?

The B.C. Rich was also there too - that was a pretty sweet bass. MIJ (NJ Series) Eagle, dual P passive pickup config. $500. If I was really into something like that, I would have bought it.

14. Gorn Captain

The BC Rich is there but I don't remember seeing that P. A few of the new basses they have with random brand names are very BC Rich-ish.

15. ggvicviper

I should take a look this weekend. Last I saw, it was like $900, and in pretty good shape though a little dinged up (and came with the case). It was also shuffled in the back somewhere.

The other exotic stuff I think was just some used stuff, maybe MIJ or something. I saw one, forgot the brand, for $400. Active 4-banger, ridiculously low action.

16. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Very cool! Congrats......

I had one in pink a few years ago. I sold it because it just really wasn't getting used, and the rent was due. Ouch!

Kind of wish I had kept it.