NBD - Gibson SG Supreme limited run

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GBassNorth, Dec 14, 2013.

1. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

My first Gibson! She's an SG Supreme in Lava Burst from a limited run in 2007. I think they only made about 400 during a one week period that year. I've been looking for one of these for a couple of years now and jumped when I finally found it at GC.
    She plays nice. Very warm and mid focused on the mudbucker (which I think is actually a Tbird PU) but the bridge PU really dials in some sweet high end and crispness to go with the warm neck PU. It's only a 30" scale so no serious neck dive. The flame and burst finish combined with the two sharp horns give it a real devilish look. I think it's a keeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

She is a beaut! It looks like a lot fun to play. I've been thinkin about one these lately. Awesome. Just awesome.
  3. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Congrats, that is gorgeous!
  4. Nobody

Nobody

That looks AWESOME! :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Thanks. I'll give it a few more days of play time before I post an official review but for now I'm really liking how it fits in a classic rock mix.
  7. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

That's a great find, and it looks like it's in immaculate shape. I'm a huge SG fan, and went through the same hunt you did to find a 2007 SG with the natural maple top. Great basses. Congrats!

[​IMG]
  8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

That's a sweet pair you've got there! Looks like you've got a lot more Gibson short scale experience than I do. So what strings have you found work best on the SG? I haven't tried doing a set up on mine yet, the action is about average, looks like I could set it lower but I'll have to figure out how to adjust the bridge first. Anyway, still having lots of fun just experimenting with it.
  9. stiles72

stiles72

I had one of these Fireburst SG's once - one of the prettiest basses I've ever owned! Unfortunately I didn't realize it would be short scale, and it felt small like a guitar in my hands compared to my Thunderbirds so I had to sell it. Looked great and sounded like chocalte on that neck pickup. Glad it works for you!
  10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Total knockout!
    Congrats on that beautiful SG!
  11. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Freaking beautiful, and I never thought I would say that about a Gibson!
    Congrats.
  12. Jwood

Jwood

That looks killer man!
  13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I had one in Natural. It was an awesome bass. But I had to sell it unfortunately. I would love to have it back.
  14. Jungy

Jungy

Gibson's aren't supposed to be pretty. :rollno:

;)