1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Guild Pilot 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

I've been pretty silent on the bass boards for the last few years, trying to cure my GAS. However, I occasionally peruse the Craigslist ads, and this one caught my eye. Guild Pilot 5, good condition, OHSC, $200. OK. I've been pretty happy with my ESP LTD Surveyor 405, but when someone drops a Guild Pilot in your lap for $200, well, it warrants investigating. This is the basic model, i.e., not Pro or Advanced. EMG-J pickups, VVT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it had ancient roundwounds on it that sounded like ancient roundwounds. But I have a set of SR2000's burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm sure they'll perk it up.

Oh, and it weighs 8 lbs. even.

2. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Very nice score!! Love the old Pilots! Great choice in strings too, BTW ;)

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nice score, OP - those are great basses, IMO...

- georgestrings

4. Flatwound

Flatwound

I played it in church this morning. Fortunately, before I did, I checked the battery. It was very close to stone dead, and a new battery really perked it up. I also adjusted the truss rod, which was a bit of a challenge - I hadn't realized that it has a quarter-inch nut sticking up, rather than an allen head adjustment. I found a quarter-inch offset box-end wrench that works OK.

It sat in the mix pretty well. I haven't played Jazz-type basses that much recently, but, being an EMG fanboy, I found plenty to like. I still have to tweak the setup a little more, but so far, so good.

5. Register to disable this ad