NBD: Guild Starfire Reissue!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonnyDanger, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

The day has finally come! After two months, that felt like 12, my bass has finally arrived.

I was so excited when i saw the message announcing me i could come pick it up, i drove to the shop straight away.

Upon arrival i opened everything and when i opened the case, there was a crack in the neck. Running from the nut to the 1st fret. I could feel the world crumbling around me...
    They'd have to order a new one, and i wasn't planning on waiting another two months.

So they called up their other shop and luckily they had ordered 2. The other one was in mint condition after opening the case so i decided to just go and get it myself, another 50km drive and this beauty would be mine :hyper:

I tested the cracked one nevertheless on an EBS classic450 with matching 410 cabinet. I'm an Ashdown guy but i really liked the sound of this amp. Very warm sounding for a SS-amp. Also the drive on it is very convincing, ranging from a hint of grit to a sweet drive. All of it pretty calm, not full on distortion or fuzz here.

So after my trip to the other store, i for sure wanted to inspect this copy myself and test it again. It was then that i nearly shat myself. I got to test the bass on an Ampeg B15n. I've never heard such a beautiful tone.
    I could've spent the whole day sitting on that stool playing. Major GAS, only problem is it will take me a while to gather 3300 euro. I had already decided i was saving up for an Ashdown CTM100. I don't know if i will be dissapointed comparing it to the B15...

So about the bass now. In contrary to a review posted here, mine did not come with any flaws in finish/setup/electronics... It's really a very nice bass and the craftmanship kinda surprised me. The weight on it is pretty nice to, lighter than my J. No neck dive for me either. About the neck, it is quite thin and very narrow, two things i love about a bass! This is my first 500+ bass and i'm very happy with my purchase!

The sound coming out of this thing is just what i was hoping it to be... warm smooth tone when played around the thumbrest and it can growl aswell when playing over the pickup. This beast can pump some serious low end, eventhough the pickup is in the bridge position. The signal is also hotter than that of my passive J.

For now i'm keeping the stock roundwounds. I did manage to score a free set of Chromes and 6m cordial cable for my waiting/cracked neck/travel cost. That's 50 euro worth of accesories, nice enough for me!

I'm planning on posting sound samples soon, but i haven't found the best method yet nor what i should play to showcase this bass. Suggestions, requests, questions, let 'em come....

In the meantime, here are some pictures :D
    The colour is not represented that good on the pictures, cellphone quality, it has more depth to it and is darker in real life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Congrats! It looks beautiful! Never actually played a semi-hollow myself, so I'm not sure what you should play to fire it up? Some Pantera?

3. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Thanks! I'm super happy with it! If you want i can throw in some Pantera, seriously, i was surprised at how versatile this thing is!

4. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

So for now i still have the stock roundwounds on the bass.
    I will leave them on there just so i can record some samples with the stock strings, then i'll put on the chromes and add some samples as well.

I thought it would be best to make multiple smaller files of random noodlings so you get an idea of the sound. I know i was dying to hear it before buying it, but didn't really get the chance.

I'll do some tracks where i mic my amp and others where i go straight into the soundcard and with an ampsim.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Ok, here goes the first soundsample.

This first sample is the Starfire directly in my Mackie Onyx Satellite, no EQ/compression whatsoever. Tone and volume are at max on the bass.

There are some noodlings that will be repeated in the three samples i have for now. As you will hear, i'm no technical genius!

1/ fingerstyle at thumbrest position
    2/ fingerstyle at thumbrest position
    3/ fingerstyle at the pickup
    4/ pick above the pickup
    5/ overdrive + pick at thumbrest
    6/ overdrive + fingerstyle at thumbrest

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12646378

7. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

8. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Last sample in the tone and volume maxed out series.

This is my Ashdown MAG300 4x10 combo miced with an SM57.

Same noodlings.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12646452

Next up will be some samples where i play around with the tone knob.

9. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

10. scars

scars Supporting Member

His OP says the his local store received one with a crack in the finish at the nut, however they had another one without cracks at a sister store 50 km away and he drove to get it.

DonnyDanger-
    Glad you are happy with your new Starfire.
    I had a similar experience through a online store. First one showed up damaged, second one was good.

I'm also an Ashdown fan, and have been told that if I like my LB-30 I would love the CTM-100 or 300.

All in good time.

And yes, please join us in the post linked above.... And below.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950368

11. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Hi guys, sorry for the late replies.
    I was in Manchester for a week.

Indeed, the one they delivered in the shop i ordered came with a crack in the neck, not just in the finish.

I then went to get another copy in another store of the same chain. The review is about the new copy. So are the sound samples.

I will join this thread straight away, i was gone for a week and i really missed playing this beauty :D still debating as to wether i really want to put the flats on it straight away, kind of liking the tone right now.

Good news for the CTM :D I was hesitating to pull the trigger on a little bastard, but fear for the amount of clean volume i will get.

12. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

13. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Would that pickup be available seperately?

14. scars

scars Supporting Member

Not yet, but The Fender rep I talked to on the phone says they intend to sell the pickup and bridge separately "soon"

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

man is that gorgeous they did a wonderful job on these congrats.

16. mazareth

mazareth

People need to stop posting photos of these beauties. I do not need another bass!:bag:

Looks like you have a keeper.

I'd be interested to know how the new bisonics compare to the original version.

17. scars

scars Supporting Member

They are close, but if you want no kidding vintage specs go to:
    http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/BS-DS.shtml
    And tell him that's what you want.

18. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Thought Curtis was the one making them for Guild/Fender...... Guess not?

19. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

It is indeed a keeper for me! I can't compare to the original Bisonic but i'm loving this one!

20. MR PC

MR PC

21. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Digging up some old bones here, but here's my thoughts on the reissue vs the original. The reissues are very well made basses. Fit and finish are superb. The reissue's low E string has a nice punch that was very lacking in my original '66. That's the good. The bad is that they totally screwed the pooch with the bridge. For some unknown reason, they went with the later "harp bridge" as opposed to the original "square bridge" of the 65 and 66's. To make matters worse, they moved the height adjusting screws closer to the neck. These interfere with the saddle travel in this new position. In my case, this makes intonating the D string impossible. The only solution to this, that I can see, is to drill and tap new holes for the height adjusters. Moving the whole fridge toward the tail would solve the D string issues, but put the E and A string saddle travel out of reach of intonation. It's a shame really. They did a bang up job with the lutherie of the instrument, and trashed it with brain dead hardware - that is not made to original spec in the first place. But if they fix the bridge? This is one cool bass, that is easily better than the original