NBD - Highway One Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hank Scorpio, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Traded a Modern Player Jazz bass for a Highway One Precision, and received the latter today.

It's a 2008 upgraded model, so has the reinforced neck (graphite rods, I believe?), Badass II bridge, Greasebucket tone control, and of course the nitro finish.

Not spent long with the bass, but it's a very comfortable weight, and the neck is fantastic. May get the fingerboard edges rolled, but that's about it.

The colour is, I believe, Wine Transparent (maybe Midnight Wine?), almost a burgundy, with the wood grain visible through it. The grain on the back of the neck is very nice, too. I can see this becoming my number 1, if it sounds as good in a band mix as it plays!

Obligatory bad camera phone photos attached.

Attached Files:

• P1.jpg
      P1.jpg
      File size:
      145.4 KB
      Views:
    • P2.jpg
      P2.jpg
      File size:
      208.4 KB
      Views:
  2. BassmanM

BassmanM

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nice basses!! Nice necks, BadassII bridges, alder bodies. Decent pickups, too. Fender 56003/56004 set, Fender part # 005-6004-049. Standard in the American Series pre 2008, Classic 50s, Road Worns, and Highway Ones.

Congratulations and enjoy!!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very nice basses congrats I personally wouldn't do a thing to it she is ready to rock!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Thanks for the information! It feels like a very well put together instrument, in fact it's my first Fender bass to bear the 'Made In USA' label on the headstock.

I did consider swapping the pickguard out for a black one, but with the richness of the burgundy, I think the parchment may be sticking around.

7. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Just weight it, seems to be around 9lbs, probably slightly under, judging by my bathroom scales. Very manageable weight for me, by no means my lightest bass, but far from my heaviest.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Not necessarily. They changed to the 61276/7 set with the rest of the models when they came along. The 5600* pickup will usually have beveled magnets.

Lots of surprises when you open up Fenders on the bench. ;)

HO Precisions are nice instruments once you pull that BAII and sell it for a hefty price.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

cool, i liked mine, but the tone knob wasn't super effective so it had to go

10. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

That and the Jazz are arguably the best bang for the buck Fender has put out in MANY years IMO & IME :smug:

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Congrats! I had that same bass, and it was one of the best basses I've ever had. The color is midnight wine. They are well built, great playing basses.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

The very week I did this, thereby ending my gigging forever, I got a matching pair of new cherrypicked 3CSB HOs, a Jazz and a Precision to use as expendable stage basses, a purpose for which they were obviously never used.

I figured they (with a bunch of bench time) would be 100% pro-grade without being too valuable to knock around. I got a very long deal on them, and after selling off the BAIIs to a dealer, I actually had under $300 in the Jazz and only about $40 more in the Precision.

13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Nice bass, and nice name too. I was always a big simpsons buff.

14. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

That totally gives me the creeps [​IMG] My condolences!

15. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

SCORPIO!

he'll welcome you into his lair
    like the nobleman welcomes his guest
    with free dental care and a stock plan that helps you invest!

16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Very nice bass, congrats.

I changed out the Badass on mine for a Fender threaded saddle bridge (my fave), and saved 1/4 pound.

17. Sleeq

Sleeq Supporting Member

Sweet. I've been GASing for one in Honey Blonde to be my beater bass.

18. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Thanks for all the kind words about the bass (and my username!), I've had to order some Allen keys to fit the BA II, so I can get it set up to my liking. If anything, the actions a little low for my playing, with a small amount of buzz on two strings when I dig in.

19. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Well done Hank! (can I call you the boss?) The key from my BA2 (must get around to selling it) fits the Wilkinson with the brass saddles!

Attached Files:

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice. Precisions are cool. Was the BAII a stock item or was it added?

21. pudgychef

pudgychef

BAII was stock on the later model Highway One basses...along with graphite rods - they were great value at the end and I prefer them to the current American Specials (ime, imho, ymmv)

EDIT: CONGRATS ON A SWEET NEW P - wish I had never gotten rid of my HWY 1 P