1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD Hofner 500/5 HCT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peacefrog35, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Supporting Member

Here are the photos I took with my camera phone 5 mins after it arrived. Sadly, I've not had much time to play. 100% Hollow and Its very loud acoustically, as loud as any acoustic bass I"ve played....very pleased! Can't wait to get my nylon black flats!
    This was a bargain at $699 IMO.... Money well spent for what I forsee will be a collector's piece. This is every bit as good as my German Hofners.
    I'll take detailed pics next week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

That is one handsome looking bass. All the best with it. I hope it brings you many years of happiness. :)

4. jbossolo

jbossolo

I want one! Where you get it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peacefrog35

Thanks all. I got it at Rock and Roll Vintage. IT was their last one...it was $100 off due to the damaged case. Their last shippment arrived with damaged cases....barely damaged at all in my case. They have a waiting list for the next shipment if you want to email or call them. They were really good to deal with.

7. corinpills

corinpills

Great looking bass you got there, some serious Hamburg Beatles mojo. Sad to hear about the damaged cases, I have been trying to order a case for my '64 Senator bass from Hofner for about 18 months.

8. Peacefrog35

Its funny because even slightly damaged, this case is the best case any HOfner I've owned has come in.....including the German basses. Its nice, plush, fits the body perfectly and heavy duty! The latches are really good too. Home run!

9. jbossolo

jbossolo

Thx for the response. Enjoy her, she's a beaut!

10. Peacefrog35

Will do! Thanks alot!:bassist:

11. Peacefrog35

Update:Got my black nylon Rotosound 88s tonight and wow o wow!!!!! :bassist:

12. bill reed

bill reed

Really nice bass. i have roto 88s on my LE. MARQUIS beatles bass and also my 5 string fretless and the change in sound is amazing, with the beatles bass you get that really nice woody double bass sound. try playing "get back" by the beatles and you be blown away with the tone you get.

Attached Files:

• 187.JPG
      187.JPG
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Peacefrog35

Hey Bill, thanks for the tip. I will definitely have to try that. I love these strings, I may have to put them on one of my other Hofner violin basses.
    BTW, I love the white color on your bass!

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I love the finishes on both of these fine specimens. I'm a sucker for a nice two-tone burst and the white pearl on white just rocks!

Tape wound strings have a very cool vibe and also sound great on precisions... ;) ;) ;)

15. bill reed

bill reed

the other good thing is that they are "Ultra low Tension" so Ok for the thin Hofner necks. they were used on the Abbey road album on some tracks. Paul is using them on the Roof flim in "get back".
    the bass with bassman sticker was the stock abbey road bass and not Pauls as his was being repaired when the strap lock pulled out a part under the neck joint, the abbey engineers had them fitted on there stock bass as it worked well with there recording equipment and Paul like the sound so kept them on.

16. FrednBass

FrednBass

I'm GASing for one

17. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Same here. Love the looks of it I'd like to have another hollowbody.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Wow that is gorgeous Peace you said it was nice but wow oh wow.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Bill were they nylon or just regular steel 88's that is some really cool info thanks

20. bill reed

bill reed

the box says "the orignal Black Nylon bass guitar strings" you also need the med size not short!so if getting some check the size on your bass. if you look at some picture of McCartney hofner bass look just under where the neck joint is! you see the repair in a lot of pictures. it was the double strap that fixed to the top and bottom pegs of the neck and they tore away.
    you can see the black 88s strings and the repair to the top of the bass, Paul had the same thing with his bass the one without bassman sticker and the pickguard fitted, the repair on that bass was on the underside and it a white patch about 2" square.

21. Peacefrog35

Bill is right, med scale strings for the beatlebasses. My reisusues and CTs have either pyramids or labellas made for Hofner,but my new 500/5 I ordered long scale because the tailpiece is set further away. The finish on these 500/5 are sooo nice. The binding is aged cream. This is alot of bass for the price!