1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD Hofner Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Technically tomorrow is NBD barring any UPS disaster.
    [​IMG]

I've always wanted one of these. It's apparently in great shape, with a hard shell case and labella flats, and looks like it has the teacup knobs which I would have wanted anyway.

Do these basically sound the same as the violin bass? I love the deep, warm sound of those but I never liked the tiny body. This seems like it would be more comfortable to play.

2. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I have a contemporary clubber, and it's my go-to vintage sound bass.

I have a contemporary violin bass too, and they're acoustically identical. The one plus is that the club is easier to play sitting or standing, and you're not immediately accused at gigs of wanting to be Macca.

3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Congratulations, man. I've been thinklng of getting one, too.
    Yes, they are easier to hold and play than the violin shape, they sound the same to me. I had a 1968, but sold it 20 years ago.

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    I had one of these and loved it. Yes to my ear it sounds just like the violin version, just different body shape. You'll dig it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Please share what brand and model the case is when you get it. I've been trying like crazy to find one that fits mine properly and I can't seem to do it for a reasonable amount of money.

I love my icon club--sounds great, plays great, looks great. And this is coming from someone who thinks most basses with less than a 34" scale feel like flimsy toys. My club is light, with a fast neck, but doesn't feel at all flimsy or cheap. Definitely feels more comfortable and sturdy than any violin bass I've ever tried to play. I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Great catch! Congrats on the NBD.

8. Gorn Captain

I've heard the epi Allen woody case fits it, though I'm not sure. I'll report back tomorrow.

9. GM60466

GM60466

10. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Thanks for the leads guys.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great score they sound good.

12. Gorn Captain

It's pretty much perfect. No cosmetic flaws I can find. Intonation is spot on. Frets are good. Electronics are great and hum free. I have no idea what brand the case is but it's 70's brown faux gator chic. Solid and functional. Not sure what the strings are. They're thinned out at the ends like Labella beatles flats but they're grey, not black. I have a set of labellas lying around so I'll probably swap them out. Overall, I'm a happy camper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gorn Captain

Does anyone know exactly what the solo/rhythm switch does? It's subtle and I can hear a difference, but what exactly does it do?

14. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Volume boost.

15. Gorn Captain

That's what it seems like. I love the bass and it's setup the way it's always been, but I really don't understand why there's pickup switches when you can do the same thing with volume control. Seems redundant.

16. GM60466

GM60466

17. sneha1965

sneha1965

Not an icon but a fun bass to play and one I've been going to regularly post surgery.

IMG_0012.jpg