NBD! Hohner B Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaSam, Sep 13, 2013.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I stopped by guitar center about 2 months ago and played this Hohner B Bass. It was setup horribly but I thought it had potential. I went home to think about it and when I went back it was gone.

I went there today to look for a case and whaddya know, it was back. And this time with a mint SKB case for $149.00. At that price it was a no brainer. A new set of strings and some elbow grease and flitz polish and she's a player now. I love the neck and the tone ain't bad at all.

I really like the drop D bridge. It wasn't setup right and wasn't working at the store but now it seems fine and drops to pitch nicely.

I'm going out the door now for band practice and taking it along. It'll be a fun NBD night.
    [​IMG]
  2. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    Nice score ! Very underrated bass.
  3. Epidrake

Epidrake

Nice. Great deal. Congrats
  4. bassmalone4

bassmalone4

I've played a few of these and REALLY liked them. Always wanted to check on the 6 string version.

Congrats! Great deal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Great bass- really good quality.
    Looks like the bridge was upgraded, and with the case, that's a super price for what you've got.
    I bought a pawn shop special B-Bass VI and it's got the thru-neck also. Neck shape is like older Cort made Ibanez maple SR506's, and it has the 'P inside' soapbars.
    Been wanting to play/hear a 4 or 5 string with the jazz-style pups-
    know if they're active, coupled to the pre?
    Nice it has a bypass switch, also.
  7. gary m

gary m

Owned one of these back in the early 90s...very high build quality with great electronics and neck through construction. The Steinberger drop tune bridge is solid as a rock. I made the mistake of letting mine go...hold onto this one.
  8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

So I spent another hour dialing it in. I don't think I'll ever get the action as low ad my Aria SB-1000 but... This Hohner plays so easy and although the EMG selects are not the best the pre amp sounds HUGE.

I really like this bass. It's lightweight, super fast neck, sounds huge and looks good.

It seems every post about the B Bass says they're underrated and I would have to agree. For $150 it's easily ad good as basses I've tried in the $400-700 range.
  9. gary m

gary m

You mention the action not being where you'd like it. If I recall, these necks have a rather flat radius, and I was able to get my old B Bass's strings pretty low by taking all the relief out of the neck (as flat and straight as possible) and stringing it with flats. If flats aren't your thing, perhaps half rounds would help. Just a thought.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Holy crap. The case is worth $75.00 alone.

These basses were made to a pretty high standard. You scored big time.