NBD Ibanez ABG140

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I didn't plan on buying a bass today but it happened anyway. Walked into Sam ash to buy a cord and found this bad boy used on the wall. Looked good, weighed nothing, and sounded great. It looks like the previous owner banged the nut against something because its a little broken and the E string got squished. But the nut seems stable enough and there's no buzzing. It's currently strung with what seems to be daddario nickel rounds. I got the nincompoop behind the counter to throw in a set of strings. I asked for labella flats. I don't think he knew they're $45 strings, but yay for me. Do most people generally put flats on these?

Attached Files:

2. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Not sure what people "usually" put on these, but it would seem to me that flats would be almost too thumpy and dull. I'd consider half rounds though for sure. Something to brighten up the sound of a hollow body.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

NIce score I love it short scale?
  4. Gorn Captain

Long scale, and in general really long. Here it is on my stand with my full scale carvin and my short scale gibson.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. easye

easye Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Curt Mangan Strings, Luther Lee Pickups
    34 inch scale. discontinued. I have one and love it. pulled the pickup and installed a vintage guild humbucker and now I have starfire tone for a total of $225 out of my pocket! Love this bass!
  7. easye

easye Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Curt Mangan Strings, Luther Lee Pickups
    half rounds sound great on this bass
  8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Nice score Gorn!
  9. Gorn Captain

I put the flats on and now it sounds pretty amazing. For a cheap bass this is really something. Just a really clean sound. I'm not crazy about the neck. Really flat front to back and wide like a p neck. The color is interesting. Kind of a glossy leather brown color. Overall a damn fine bass.
  10. Nobody

Nobody

I had an ASB140 and put Chromes on it. I think I had to order extra long strings for it IIRC. It sounded awesome but it was too big and uncomfy for me. If you can deal with that they are awesome.