1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD - Ibanez PCBE12 "Open Pore" ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Yet another unintentional Sam Ash purchase. I saw it in the acoustic room and tried it out. For not too much money, it's an excellent acoustic bass. 32" scale. No super glossy (sticky) finish like the AEB5E or AEB10E that a ton of people have. Nice low action. Sounds great amplified. My elderly downstairs neighbors live in FL for most of the year and come back to NY for the warmer months, so when they're here, an acoustic will come in handy. Anyone know the deal with this open pore business? Is it a good thing? Anyways....it plays and sounds great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    That looks great, looks like a similar finish to a lot of Taylor guitars the guys I play with have. Do you know how it sounds compared to the AEB10? I have one in the deep violin sunburst(beautiful) but the gloss on it is weird, wish they would've gone with a flat finish.

3. Gorn Captain

I had an AEB5E, and it sounds a lot better. The preamp is more responsive and....I don't know, it just sounds more civilized. The whole thing seems more well built. My AEB5E always felt cheap. This doesn't.

4. DogBone

DogBone

Nice, love it, and appreciate all the pics! :)

Not much experience on Ibanez ABGs myself, but I have lots of love and respect for Ibby acoustics non the less. My youngest son's favorite guitar in the world is his Ibanez V200S and I have to say it's a great sounding and recording instrument and continues to serve him well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Can you post a pic of the preamp? I like the one on my 10 a lot which has been a deciding factor on keeping it compared to the others I've seen and played. The 10 is very high quality and I make due with the gloss lol.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Open pour means that they did not fill the grain. Mahogany is an open grain wood. To get a smooth finish, the grain must be filled with grain filler. There are various blends, many contain silica and clays. The filler is applied with the grain and wiped off against the grain after the solvent flashes off. Sometimes this process is done twice. Then it is final sanded, sealed, and finished glass smooth. As you can see, it is labor intensive and certainly will increase the price of the instrument.

So what does "open pour" really mean? It means "cheap finish."

8. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Sounds like it will relic naturally/quickly on it's own then lol.

9. Gorn Captain

As far as I can remember it's the same as on my old five. I think the 10 has a better one, but I have no complaints.

I plan on putting a set of the new labella copper white tapewounds on it. It seems to me they'll be the ultimate acosutic bass strings.

Attached Files:

10. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Oh I've seen one like that on my friends AE starter kit from ibanez. It was really decent actually. I use D'addario EXP Reds. They're copper and have a nice acoustic tone unplugged and you can eq a really bassy or mild upright mimic through amp/di. Exps have a light coating with great life and the reds are cheaper than the coated phosphor bronze sets from any manufacturer by $10+.

11. Splods

Splods

Media:
    Lovely bass. I have a Ibanez EWB 5 string. It is quieter than a lot of other AB's, but has a beautiful tone to it.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful bass congrats and I think we are buying too many basses I have two more NBD's coming.

13. DWLANG

DWLANG

OK Gorn Captain, this one is YOUR fault!

I play in a Beatles acoustic band, and I played my Ibanez AEB10 for a couple years, but switched to a Höfner Verythin because the AEB10 was too bulky and we play alot of intimate gigs in tight spaces, and I've been itching to get a small-scale acoustic bass (since the band IS called "Liverpool Acoustic").

Nothing out there appealed to me, until I saw this thread and your review.

So...today, I pulled the trigger on this one on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161371884708?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Post some pix of yours to tide me over 'til mine arrives??

14. Gorn Captain

Like I tend to do, I sold it a while back. The pictures I posted were from a photobucket account I don't have anymore. It looked exactly like the stock photos though. If you wanna visit one while you wait for yours, most Sam Ash stores carry them.

15. DWLANG

DWLANG

I often do the same, but I'm strictly a short-scale player now...so this might just fit the bill (and fit in with the other two acoustic guitars in the band)

16. Gorn Captain

It's actually medium scale, not short, but still very comfortable.

17. DWLANG

DWLANG

Body has to be less bulky than the AEB10

I liked the size of the Fender T-Bucket, but the finish is awful...high gloss and cheap looking