NBD! Ibanez SR1405 Premium

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deaj, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

Well, in truth I received this (new to me) used bass a few days ago from a fellow TB'er. I'll post a few initial observations and then a few pictures.

It's been roughly 25 years since I last owned an Ibanez instrument (I owned a Japanese built Sabre guitar from 1986? - high build quality, superb playability, uninspiring electronics). I was hoping for a better instrument this go around and I am not disappointed! I wanted a 5-string bass that offers fairly tight string spacing, a small'ish neck, 34" scale length, and a versatile electronics package. The Ibanez Premium 1205/1405 basses seemed a good place to start.

Regarding playability - this bass is ridiculously easy to play. It has a fast, straight neck and consistent fret work capable of supporting very low action without any fret buzz or fretting out anywhere. There are no dead spots anywhere on the fret board. Plays effortlessly and without issues.

The Nordstrand Big Singles sound fantastic! Jazz bass growl with a broader frequency response and plenty of punch! The preamp is better than I had expected and it complements the pickups nicely. I have a Bartolini NTMB 918 preamp here sitting idle that I plan to swap in and compare to the stock pre. The active/passive switch is a must have with these pickups IMO. They sound so freaking good with the preamp bypassed. The preamp smooths them out a bit - also a great sound. I find it pretty easy to get both modern and old school tones out of the 1405 - very versatile indeed! Output level and punch string-to-string is very consistent.

The 16.5mm string spacing is working out really well for me so far and I'm not having any trouble swapping between this bass and my Bongo 4-string. The B string sounds great and feels right for my preferences. It's as good a B string as I've found on any 34" scale length bass.

I have yet to find fault with this instrument - a much better Ibanez experience than my last in 1986. I've only had the bass for a few days so I'll reserve judgement until the 'new bass' shine wears off and I've lived with it for a while. In the mean time I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.

Here are a few pics taken by the seller. I'll take some of my own soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tristan

Tristan

Beautiful. I just ordered a 4-string Premium with the Ovankol top. Can't wait.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I once owned both Sr1200e Premium (ovangkol top one you're right now awaitin') and SrXxv Premium (padauk top one) they both can be all time keeper (I had a different endin' story)

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Great looking bass - I wanted this one real bad myself, but I just bought an SR-705 (love it) right before this came up FS. Congrats on this awesome instrument! :hyper:

I think you are hearing the Big Singles exactly as I do - really mean single coil/jazz bass voicing with slightly extended freq range, just killer sounding. I thought the Big Singles sounded stellar without the help from the preamp on the 1205 Premium I played at a local store. I thought - who needs a preamp? Save for on-the-fly tonal adjustments. I'm considering really hard about picking up a set of Big Singles to replace the MK1's in my SR-705 - will probably run the preamp flat and/or install an active/passive bypass switch.

Congrats on the new bass - great choice! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

Glad you are enjoying it so far. I have an SR1206 that I love.

7. Tristan

Tristan

How do you compare this to the Peavey Cirruses you used to own? I wanted to check one out but got sick of waiting for one to show up locally.

8. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

Thanks everyone! I'm really enjoying this bass.

I haven't played a Cirrus in many years and I don't remember much detail other than I really liked them. The 34" scale length is more comfortable for me though and the B string on the Ibby is great (ideal tension, sounds fantastic). If I remember something relevant regarding the Cirrus I'll post it here.

9. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

Thanks! :) The more I play it the more I like this thing! Those Big Singles are punchy pickups. I find the blend pot more useful on this bass than any I've owned before it. So many great voicings between either side and center detent.

10. Tristan

Tristan

Hey Deaj,

Is there any shielding buzz? Like a slight buzz when not touching strings/bridge? Even with both pickups equal?

I have some and it goes away if I touch the bridge or strings. Its pretty minor, but its there. I am used to my EMG equipped bass, which is dead quiet, so I am not sure if its a problem or if I am being overanalytical.

11. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

It sounds like you may have a grounding issue. I'm not experiencing that at all.

12. Bobster

Bobster

If it buzzes when you touch it the strings, it's a ground issue.

If it buzzes when don't touch the strings, it's a shielding issue.

Best of luck with it, Tristan!

Bob

13. Tristan

Tristan

Thanks Deaj. I am jealous. Its a great bass in so many ways, but mine has to go back.

14. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

I had an opportunity to play this bass in a jam today (signal chain: Ibanez SR1405 --> Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe --> Markbass CMD 151P combo) and it sounded amazing! I kept it passive the whole time and used the pickup pan control as desired. Punchy and warm, very focused, tight bass and warm treble, dynamic, expressive..... DAMN!!!! I could find not one single downside through the afternoon.

This is my first 5-string bass and I wasn't entirely confident about showing up with an unfamiliar instrument to jam with folks I'd never played with. This subsided quickly however. I fumbled around the B string a couple of times but quickly acclimated. I also expected I'd have some difficulties acclimating to the REALLY low action (fret rattle from heavy attack, etc.) but this never became an issue. Fits like a glove!

This bass is very new to me so there's no way to know how it will work out in the long run. It's looking mighty good so far though.

Color me happy! :)

15. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

I currently play an Ibanez grooveline 5 string as my main bass...i sold my Fenders after i got it, it out-jazzed them and the fretwork makes it feel like playing air. If the new Ibanez line is still a well kept secret, i dont know why!

16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

The poor thing looks cold out there.

17. Deaj

Deaj Supporting Member

That thought occurred to me when I first saw those pictures. :D

18. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Why did you sell it? I just ordered one. Upgrading from my SR905. Thx.

19. ResponseRx

ResponseRx Supporting Member

Have to agree that the SR Premiums are truly impressive. The incredibly fast neck and Big Single range make them such dynamic instruments. I recently picked up an SR4XXV and fell in love! Granted after a month we're still on the honeymoon, but anything else I play just seems slow and clunky in comparison..

20. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

Hey , that was my bass !

I sold it to go the fEarful route , I had another bass that I could get by with . That Ibanez was truly a great bass . The way it played and the way they sound is just great , I haven't had a bass that good ever . The B string was the biggest surprise , very good . I just had other priorities at the time .