1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Ibanez SR1405e Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xhawk5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Hi folks. So I broke down and bought an Ibanez sr1405e from AMS. They have a 12 pymt plan that works great for me.

(The NEED HELP part is below this)...

Pros:
    1) Great tone, so solid, punchy and quite EQ-able for almost any situation. I think this has alot to do with the Nordstrand single coils. Awesome passive tone too. I will play passive but only prefer active to put some gain on the bass.
    2) The SR neck of course.
    3) Fut and finish were flawless. I used to hate gold hardware but this is really nice.
    4) The mono bridge is fantastic. I love the ease of adjustment to get spot-on intonation and action. Bigger-post keys makes tuning a breeze! And it stays there!

Cons:
    1) Frets. Its' disappointing that with this model, they don't file fret edges on an angle, although they are very smooth and rounded at the edge, I can easily feel every one. If I keep it, I will have to have them filed along the edges angled towards the string. This thought leads me to #2...
    2) I cannot get the action lower than standard 1.5mm to 2mm respectfully. I was hoping for 1mm to 1.5mm like I have on my SR905. I did the adjustments appropriately and professionally. I prefer VERY LITTLE fret buzz, if any at all. Only on a hard attack will it buzz in just a few places. Frets are very even.

So those two cons make me wonder and wish for something else with similar neck measurements. Of course, the neck is the most important part of a bass, IMO.

Here's where I need the HELP or Advice...

For a high-mid priced guitar, the neck and frets should be of better quality IMO.
    I don't think sending it back for another same model will fix this, I'm not sure.
    Anyone else find this problem?
    Should I go with a lower numbered model like the sr605 and install some Nordys in it?
    Is there another MFG with similar neck measurements that will set-up like a $1250 bass? (Has to be something from AMS).

Thanks all.
  2. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

As I have posted in other posts-I am a big fan of both AMS (70% of my gear is purchased from them) and vintage ad high end Ibanez basses.

Strange to hear about your 1405-my 1206 and 1400 from AMS are absolutly flawless (and yes, I do know about quality)-maybe you should return and ask for another?

I also might add that I have seen Prestige and Premium Ibbys that differed in fit and finish-I saw a SR1400 at GC that had gaps in the neck route and pickup cavities.

I think you should maybe return it and get another one.

Remember-the finishing touches are done by human hands-maybe the fret guy had a bad day??? -lol

But seriously-If you are not happy with something (even if its not a musical instrument) you paid 1250 for return it.
  3. p5string

p5string

send it back-my 1205 had none of those issues. Of course the small store that I buy from has a very picky proprietor. He'll send any new instrument back that doesn't meet his very stringent approval before he puts it up for sale. Not knocking AMS but a bigger store may not be as attentive to their incoming stock.
  4. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

if you like it, keep, it. spend $60 at a local luthier and live happily ever after.
  5. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Really? Interesting. I just might have to. Thanks.
  6. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Thx guys. I sent it back after gigging w/it on Sat. New one should be here on Fri! :)
  7. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Hope the new one is better!
  8. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

UPDATE:
    The new one arrived in a 'sealed by Ibanez' box inside another box. This wasn't the case with the first one. Like they're trying to push out the returned ones. I'm so glad I sent it back.

The frets are excellent. I got the action down to 1mm/G - 1.5 mm/B respectfully, (just like my 905). Very happy now, and the Nordys seem to have more "grind" than the first one.

Pleased with my purchase. Perfect mate to my SR905. Two different tones, and totally EQ-able. Thanks for the advice!
    Happy Holidays.

Hawk
  9. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

OK. So, after gigging with this bass and my modded SR905... I have sent the 1405 back, again, for a refund. Nothing Ibanez makes right now under $1600 can top the playability and tone of my SR905.
    The end.