NBD: Ibanez SR406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CBNJ, Feb 24, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

So today I traded an old head I got at a garage sale and never used, for this. Never had a 6, never had an active - so I have a ton of questions. How often do you change batteries? Are the pickups any good? What do all those knobs do? Do I want an active?! What can I play with a 6? Should I keep this, or just flip it? Does anyone want it? ;) This thing is HEAVY. Seems like when I thin my collection out, it fills itself right back up..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361720880.561459.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361720651.042015.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361720666.047131.jpg
    [​IMG]
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Congrats on this beauty! :hyper: It's a keeper for sure! Heck, you have no idea how many people are looking for one of these! :)

The knobs are 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 band EQ (Bass, Mid, Treb). The sound on this is amazing. Very powerfull and clean. It's good for all kinds of music, though some would use it for the harder department (hardrock, metal).

On your answer if you would like to keep it, I can only say that you are the only person who can deside that. Do you like having a Low B string and a High C string?

Also the active pickup is something you have to like. The battery can last 2 - 3 months if you unplug your bass each time when you're done playing. This will safe the battery's life longer :p
  3. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I think it's Vol/Blend/Bass/Mid /Treb. I go through 2/3 batteries per year on my Ibby Basses ... remember to unplug the cord so you don't run down the battery.

What is the serial number? You can tell what year is was made.
  4. Thomas Kievit

If I'm correct, this basses were made in 2000. Oh and yes, it's Vol/Blend/Bass/Mid/Treb :p
  5. CBNJ

Serial: C9050180

Are they rare? He traded it pretty easily, it made me think they were a dime a dozen.
  6. Thomas Kievit

Meh, not rare but not so easy to get either.
  7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

From Ibanez Rules website:

Cort Serial Numbers - Cort serial numbers are denoted with a C prefix followed by either 7 or 8 digits. I'm not sure what year the changeover occurred but using the formula it will be easy for you to tell. A 7 digit number example - C5030567 - translates, 5 = 1995, 03 = 3rd month [March], 0567 = 567th guitar built in March 1995. An 8 digit number example - C03114373 - translates, 03 = 2003, 11 = 11th month [November], 4373 = 4373rd guitar built in November 2003.

So it looks like C9050180 = C (korea) a 99' built in May, and was the 180th one.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1999/99031.jpg
  8. CBNJ

Awesome! Fun to play, but a 6 is tough to get used to, wow.
  9. Jheake

Jheake

10. CBNJ

11. CBNJ

If I was gonna sell this to a friend, what would be a fair price?
  12. Thomas Kievit

It's because people start to appreciate old(er) basses more and more these days. Although the concept from these basses hasn't changed (slim neck and thin body) it's still a bit different then the SR basses today.

Most people who I've seen with this basses, swapped the pups for EMG's, cause this bass is very good for metal and can give thunderous lows ;)
  13. Thomas Kievit

400 is a good price
  14. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I got one of these a little over a year ago on Craigslist - and got a steal! $250, hard case included! Granted, the case wasn't pretty, but it does its job just fine. And since I would likely have bought a gigbag/case anyway, it saved me that hassle too. Love this bass, and thunderous lows is right! It just has "heft" my other basses don't. I'm thinking of replacing the preamp to get a little more versatility and definition on it, but I'm in no hurry. I have other basses with those qualities. But the thought of those lows with the definition and clarity of a better preamp gives me goosebumps...
  15. JustForSport

JustForSport

DX5/ DX6 pickups are passive,
    ADX5/ ADX6 pickups are active.
    They're also split 'P' shape inside.