1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD! I'm buying a new to me toy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dkelley, Jul 14, 2013.

1. dkelley

dkelley

UPDATE: I BOUGHT a used Carvin BB75!!! NOW WITH PICS (see posts lower down)

Do you have ANY idea how stoked I was knowing I was going to get this? It was 1:26am and I couldn't sleep!

LoL

Sooooo it's an older dual jazz pickup designb with probably two h50n stacked js and I'm wondering if I should be prepared to be unhappy with the pickups?

I have read the standard details about their pickups and from late 90s like this bass they are apparently very neutral pickups without much character or strong resonance frequency.

Who loves their 50n pickups

Who replaced them and with what and to what result?

Please anyone... I'm looking to get this bass modded to be my ideal #1. I will of course give stock a good run but am aware of the lack of love of that period's pickups.

2. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    Congrats on the purchase!

I had a Fender Jazz V+ in the early 90s. Couldn't get along with the stock Lace Sensors. I ordered some H50n pickups from Carvin and never looked back. They sounded great and really got on well with the stock Kubicki pre.

If your "new" Carvin has a Wilkinson bridge of the era, think about replacing it. Lots of sharp edges, too many fiddly adjustments. I'd look into a Hipshot or Babicz.

3. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
  4. dkelley

dkelley

Very good info! Although if the bridge SOUNDS good that's by far the main thing to me... Assuming I won't cut myself on it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dkelley

dkelley

1.5 hours to go!

7. wooheehaa

wooheehaa

the great anticipation before the purchases or arrival ahh~~~~ i feel for you

will wait for pictures and enjoy it=)

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Congrats!! I miss my BB75! Selling it was one of my biggest mistakes! :bawl:

9. Joedog

Joedog

My one and only build has them. I like them fine, but they don't blow me away. I also have the Carvin 3 band preamp, which I feel the same way about. I do like the capability of playing in active OR passive mode, and definately like the mids control. In passive mode, EQ controls don't work, and output is pretty weak, but tone is sweet. If I was playing it on a more regular basis, I'd consider a switch, but no sure to what. You could do a lot worse.

10. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

LOVE LOVE LOVE my BB75, it is an outstanding bass :) Sooo much fun to play. Pics when she arrives please!

Wait a sec, at 4:33AM there where 2 hours to go, and at 9:56AM there were 1.5 hours to go? Are you posting from your phone while driving 180K miles per second on some Canadian highway? If so, that's dangerous and you should pull over. :)

11. dkelley

dkelley

got it! I updated the first post with corrections to grammar, context and time. Yea I'm just like that. I will take pics in a while (at work right now with the bass right beside me in the case... don't want to be TOO weird at work though so pics will be a little later - maybe at lunch ;-) )

texting while driving faster than light speed turned out to be much safer than at normal driving speeds, every accident that I saw coming I just drove around since I saw it in advance up ahead due to the time shift effects.

This is the original version of the BB75, although according to seller it is actually the 2nd version since original had jack on front of bass, mine is on bottom edge (much nicer).

2 band. 2 h50ns. 9v. blueburst. flawless. hard shell case. $475!

I plugged it into my little headphone amp and was IN LOVE.

This is EASILY the most aggressive sounding bass I've played in my entire life. EASILY. which is exactly what I'm going for right now. it looks like a jazz but sounds like something JPJ plays in his solo albums (again, exactly what I'm going for)!

nice low action, seems like a nice new set of XLs on it. Previous owner plans on getting a full custom carvin in the future some day.

12. millsbass5

millsbass5

I don't take too much to heart when it comes to reading ones opinions on gear I plan on trying. I try my best to be open-minded as possible when trying gear. That way, when it all boils down, I went with the most important decision of all. Mine!!

13. dkelley

dkelley

I announced confidently to my coworker that this is my new favorite bass. :)

14. dkelley

dkelley

that's a really good philosophy :-D

15. Bass1965

Bass1965 Supporting Member

So , AT WORK, you can open the shipping carton up, take the bass out to inspect, plug it into your headphone amp, all the while keeping us updated across the globe, BUT you can't snap 1 quick pic for us!! You're killing us!!

16. Raymeous

Raymeous

Conga Rats on the new toy! :hyper:

I have an LB76 in blue burst and I love it. The BB75 has a nice feel to it. I live near the factory so I cheat and get to try everything.

Carvin makes very solid instruments, and a ton of bang for the buck, but they are not for everyone and I realize that. For me I like their clean and articulate sound. I also like my P-bass, but it's all about having the right tool for the job.

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy mine.

17. dkelley

dkelley

PICS

ok, I couldn't wait. My manager saw the headstock while I was taking pics and he's like "Oh! it's a Carvin! Nice!"

Gotta love a response like that from your manager at your entirely non-music-related day job LoL

Attached Files:

18. dkelley

dkelley

2 more (my hand was really bright in one so I darkened top in block area - sorry that it looks edited LoL, didn't want to blind anybody)

Attached Files:

19. dkelley

dkelley

LoL... ok well actually it was a private used deal so I checked it out prior to getting to work :)

But still I couldn't wait for the pics so voila!

It's such a classic bunny bass. And so far I'm frickin blown away with the pickups and preamp. I doubt it can do subtle stuff without a very careful touch, but it can do in-your-face which is my goal with this instrument.

UPDATE
    Ya know what's interesting? This bass doesn't translate in pics as being too impressive.. but the close up detail is where its impressive, along with feel, weight, balance, playability, and tone. even the pots ooze quality when turned. the finish is amazing... you notice it in the body pic I took above.

20. dkelley

dkelley

despite the neck being finished in blue/black it feels like wood. it's hard to explain... but the feel is very much like a nice polished wood finish.

great feel - looks like it shouldn't feel good but it does. NICE. :-D

21. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Nice :) Play the frets off of it!