NBD: Jetglo 4003! Finish flaws? :/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antoniolopez90, Jan 2, 2014.

1. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Hey guys I was stoked to get my 4003 in the mail today!:bassist:

I think its awesome but I found a couple specks of jetglo paint on the binding and on the fretboard.

Is this just the price of owning a Ric? :help:

The shop I purchased from said its not uncommon in rics due to their not changing their production practices in forever. :meh: I dont think they are giving me the run around they said I am welcome to send pics and try to work something out.

I know you vampires want pics... I cant bring myself to post until I am sure I am keeping this bass :(

2. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

If its bad enough, or will bug you enough, send it back. If not, keep it. Either way post pics. ;)

3. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

By the way, I've owned several Rickenbacker basses and have never seen this issue. That's not to say that its not "uncommon", but I'd guess the shop just told you that to make you go away.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

For a bass costing near 2 grand, I'd want it perfect in every way.
    Finish flaws may not be a deal breaker for some, but c'mon, that's an expensive instrument. I did not have any issues with mine, neither should you or anyone buying a Ric.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I would complain. Maybe they'd be willing to give you a bit of a discount for a "factory 2nd" bass, because that's what it is, I think. You paid for a perfect bass, that's why you bought it new. So you should either pay less for imperfect or get a perfect bass for your money.
    If a manufacturer has poor quality control and ships out flawed instruments, they should at least get complaints. Otherwise they don't feel consequences for their actions and will continue shady practice

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 If they want 100% of my money I want a 100% perfect bass it will start to bug you and you might take another hit if you have to sell it later.

8. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Darn my sentiments exactly.... Now there is no replacement 4003 in stock at the shop :(

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I will post my opinions once pics are provided, if its bad send it back if its minor ask a discount and play on.

10. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

I hath requested another 4003 lets see how this goes... who knows how long Ill have to wait :crying: I am tempted to go fireglo lol.

11. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

yup i would send that ****er back, minor or not, you payed first rate money you should get a first rate bass, that includes the paint job.

12. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

Fotos please. What are we talking about here? Over spray, drips, paint flakes that got covered over during the fretboard sealing??

Sepp

13. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Supporting Member

While RIC's been having their share of finish issues with solid colors, overspray isn't one of them. If the bass was bought new from a RIC dealer, then the finish has a one year warranty from the date of manufacture. By the way, look for chipping paint around the tailpiece. How close to 2 grand did you pay? These basses usually go for about $1650.

14. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

15. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

They are minor defects minor quibbles but this is the most I have ever spent on a bass. I hoped to keep it for life I would at least hope it would start without any defects.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

How do you like the feel of the neck?

17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would keep it. Please let me explain why. Even sight unseen it sounds very minor. The paint on the body near bridge and all screw holes is the important part. if it's fine everywhere else the black smudges can probably be carefully wiped off by a pro. Get a quote and opinion and then ask for a refund from the seller. If you are not happy after that, I'll swap you a Mint as new Maple-Glo for it.:) Ultimately it's your choice.

18. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

The specs of paint are under the clear coat... Not something to be wiped off. I think I prefer jetglo.

The neck is cool maybe a smidge chunkier than I would have preferred. But I have no other Ric to compare to so maybe its the Ric shape. I think I can get used to it real quick tho.

I emailed the shop the pics and am waiting to hear back. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a pain in the neck my first new big bass purchase may be my last :/ used from now on???

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

IIRC, you were primarily used to Jazz Bass necks, right? Give yourself time to "acclimate" to the Rick neck, they are wider at the nut but thinner as you go up the fingerboard (towards the body), this is better ergonomically, IMO and experience; believe me, I have a quite a few Jazz Basses and other basses with Jazz Bass dimensioned necks.

20. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Yup I am definitely not against it :D feels comfy and right! I'm afraid I will have to be without ric while I wait for a replacement tho :/

21. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Maybe the best course of action would really be to complain, send them photo-documentation of the issues so they see it's a factory 2nd quality instrument that got past QC, and ask for a discount. Very reasonable IMO. That way you get to keep the bass and it won't bother you because you were compensated for the imperfection