1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD Kala U-Bass SUB Solidbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Hi folks! I ordered and received a Kala U-Bass SUB Solidbody today, bought from an evilBay listing.

It was listed as a B-stock but I have looked it over from headstock to body, front & back, and I cannot see marks of any types. I plugged it in & it sounds very good.

I also own a DeArmond Ashbory. These 2 seem to compliment each other very well. My U-Bass SUB is fretted & the Ashbory is fretless. One quick comparison I noticed immediately is the Kala strings feel stronger than those used with the Ashbory. From various threads & other online suggestions, I always loosen the strings of my Ashbory when I'm finished practicing, to save the strings. I do not feel the same using the Kala strings. Unless someone here mentions that I should be down tuning as well.

[​IMG]

Since I also own an Ashbory, here's a picture of my Ashbory and Kala U-Bass SUB Solidbody side-by-side.
    [​IMG]
  2. Temcat

Temcat

Congrats on your new bass! How's the intonation along the neck?
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Ashbory strings are the worst. Roadtoad makes a low tension set of the black poly strings you can put on an ashbory. I have an acoustic ubass and never played the solid body, but I bet once you get the feel for it you're not gonna be playing the ashbory much.
  4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

It could use some adjusting. I see the bridge is sitting on 2 adjustable posts.
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Roadtoad strings for my Ashbory. I give equal practice time to all my basses. The Ashbory won't sit on the back shelf.
  6. Kryptos

Kryptos

Might look into sets of Aquila Thunderguts or Silver Rumblers, I use the first on an acoustic U bass and the second on the solid body. Properly terminated strings are available at:

Kala Gear
  7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Thanks for the link. Plenty of interesting accessories for the U-Bass.
  8. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

The U-Bass looks more attractive than the Ashbory bass.
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Looks like those posts are for action adjustment, not intonation.

UP-DOWN not IN-OUT. Sure higher action might make the bass play sharp, but that's not a good way to intonate.
  10. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    That's for sure. I don't know how any of those basses were sold with those strings. Good bass. Really, really unplayable strings.
  11. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    1. Congratulations on the new bass. You're going to have tons of fun.

2. For maximum fun, read at least Some of the UBass megathread. It's filled with tons of useful info and real world experiences.

3. When you decide to get serious about tuning stability and cool tone, put a set of Aquila Thunderguts or Silver Rumblers on. You'll thank me later.
  12. hodad66

hodad66

I just received my SUB a few days ago & have some Silver Rumblers ordered.... ;-)
  13. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

The SUB is a lot of fun, isn't it? I still enjoy mine.
  14. hodad66

hodad66

made any string changes?
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Not yet. Unlike regular metal bass strings gradually losing their sound, how can I tell when it's time to change U-Bass strings?
  16. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

When I had my Ashbory, I changed the Fender silicone strings when they broke, which was mostly the D and G strings. When I switch to the Road Toad poly strings, I never changed them. They sounded great for the year I had them on until my bass was eventually stolen.