NBD - Kay content

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bijoux, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

I just got this Kay M-1 from 1952 if I'm not mistaken, ... the serial number is 304... something like that...
    Anyway I was never a Kay fan, but this guy that works at this theater close by found this bass in the back in the basement and nobody claimed it so he sold it to me for $75!!!!!!!!!!!
    I basically just cleaned a little put some new strings on it and I must say, this thing sound great.
    There are no buzzes on the fingerboard. It's dressed nicely. Although the bridge doesn't have any adjusters, the string height is perfect. (you can fit a number 2 pencil under the G string at the end of the fingerboard, and the other strings are gradually higher than that). You can actually hook your fingers and the strings and pull they pretty hard and get a nice big sound.
    I'll make a YouTube video.
    Anyway, i don't know what to do with it.
    it's really fun to play!
    I might keep it for a while. Ideally I would like to find a good home for it. Somebody that can appreciate it. I kind of feel like I rescued the bass, so I don't wanna just get rid of it and sell to someone and later on find the bass in the same condition or worst.
    anyway, it's kind of growing on me. I have it strung with Helicore Pizzicato just because I had a set laying around for over 10 years. I think I am going to try some Obligatos that I got laying somewhere. maybe that will give it a beefier sound and a nicer feel too.

Attached Files:

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Skip the Oblis and go straight to gut, maybe with the Helicores on the bottom. That should sound and play great.

I'll give you your $75 back plus freight to NY any time you want. Great score there, sir.
  3. Bijoux

Bijoux

I hear what you are saying, but guts are expensive, especially if I am not going to keep the bass for long...
    I was wondering if Eurosonics would be an option...
  4. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

$75.:eek::eek: You ain't kiddin' "GREAT SCORE"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Never used Eurosonics, sorry, but I hear good things.
  7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Pff, whatevz.. I got my Kay for free by way of a very generous donation from the church my family went to when I was in middle school (it'd been sitting there in a back room for ages). Granted, it needed a new neck and bridge, etc, so perhaps you win in terms of great deals. Seriously though, that's a bargain right there.. looks to be in very good shape. Congrats!!!
  8. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Bijoux, if you want to avoid the high cost of guts you could always spring for some Velvets (definitely keep an eye on the classifieds for both). And there's always Spiro Weich.
  9. Bijoux

Bijoux

Yeap. I love Velvets! maybe I'll try that.

...so anyway, when the guys points me to the gig bag sitting on the corner I didn't even look inside! I just gave him the money and left!
    the bag was hideous! it din't even make it to garage! i went straight to the dumpster. then I started to look at the bass and I was like rally impressed! I mean it loks like I just need to put it together and play!
    anyway, I am not very experienced putting the soundpost in the right place so I'll have that done. The bass also has a patch where the soundpost goes on the back plate, which makes me wonder how long this thing was just sitting there in the basement... the patch looks very clean and probably recent... well I don't know...
  10. Bijoux

Bijoux

Ok, so I just shot this quick video. Obviously I haven't had time to play the bass yet. I just got it! lol So it feels a little awkward. But it's a fun bass to play and I think we might become friends!

http://youtu.be/kWCQtIrKLyo
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Lots of later Kays had the reinforcing patch after steel strings became popular. Those thin plywood tops tended to collapse.
  12. Fogducker

Fogducker

Put some Innovation Super Silvers on it. They're real gut like and the tension isn't too bad.

The small patch on the back is stock and gives you a pretty good idea where to go with the sound post too.

Fog
  13. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Congratulations on your acquisition!!! Your karma must be exceedingly good! :)

Eurosonics would be great, especially for the price- I bought a bass that had their light gauge A, D and G so I can't speak to the quality of the low E. The rest of the strings were GREAT in every regard to exclude arco. That said, Lezner guts aint too shabby, and relatively inexpensive to boot...sometimes you can score a used set for peanuts.

Namaste,

Joe
  14. BHBassman

BHBassman

Congrats!!
    I have an old blonde Kay strung with EPs. Used it last night on a quintet trad Jazz gig. Great sounding Bass. A bit beat up, but plays great w, ESP. With my pu.
    Bought it from a bassist that had a picture with him playing it with Drummer Gene Krupa.
    He had it with spirocores. Good sound. Wanted the gut sound from this bass.
    Brought it to a repairman,new bridge, setup, etc.
    The neck & headstock are both pinned & still sounds great.
    Played a Kay with Galugalecki Gut strings that was also great sounding.
  15. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

I agree with this statement. Spirocore low-tension is what I have strung on mine, with very pleasing results!
  16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Excellent score! If it were me, I'd turn it right around for a hefty profit.
  17. Akito

Akito

Sounds really good! Congrats man! I have been looking for something like this locally for the past two years with no luck. I just know there are folks around here with something similar in the basement!