NBD: KK Baby-Bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by crlujan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. crlujan

crlujan

Loving this bass. Just came in on Monday. Plays/feels/sounds great. I put on a set of D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato Light Tension strings on it. I had a brand new unused set around. Next strings I'm gonna check out will be Thomastik Spirocore Weichs. Figured I could give those a shot since many seem to swear by them.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361115096.260768.jpg
  2. crlujan

crlujan

You could check them out at http://www.baby-bass.com
    Mine is the KB-1. Will be bringing this out for a Jazz (Real Book) session in SF tonight.
  3. Bungee

Bungee

Those basses are sweet! I know the Baby Bass design is often used to play Latin music, but I have often wondered how modern Baby Bass designs would work for jazz. Players often remark about EUBs sounding too much like fretless electric basses, but that can't be true of the KK Baby Bass with the magnetic diaphragm pickup - I have to assume the note shape is quite different. Can you comment on how the bass performs both for groove playing and melodic soloing? I am fascinated by this topic, and though I'm not actively in the market for a Baby Bass now, your insights will certainly be informative to me and others.

Thanks!
  4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Check out Jymie Merritt w/ Lee Morgan (Live at the Lighthouse). He plays the BB on those sessions and I believe there is a performance on youtube of that band that you can watch. Another one that comes to mind is Paul West w/ Dizzy's big band in 1968.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That looks cool never heard of them.
  7. crlujan

crlujan

So far, I'm diggin' it. I hate it when you can hear that it is an EUB on a recording. I also don't like the sound of what can be described as an oversized fretless electric. I'm gonna try do my best to get as true to a double bass sound as I can get. I've done many, many years on acoustic double bass. I will be playing with the proper technique, so that is not an issue. I still need to work on dialing in the proper tone on my amp, an Ampeg B100-r. Kris from KK Baby-Bass actually called me to make sure I was happy with the bass and gave me a great starting point as far as amp settings go. Great service.
  8. Bungee

Bungee

Thanks - I checked those out and found the experience informative and inspiring. I dig that sound for jazz.
  9. crlujan

crlujan

Played three sets with the bass last night. Holy smokes! What a workout. It's been awhile. Gotta get back to where I was years ago.

Bass sounds great. Could probably mess with my tone a little bit more. Only thing is, the pickup is pretty quiet. Using an Ampeg B-100r, had the gain all the way up. Will try using a pre-amp.
  10. crlujan

crlujan

Played another three sets on the bass last night. Ran it through a Sansamp Bass Driver. Sounding great!
  11. Bungee

Bungee

12. crlujan

crlujan

A couple more pics...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362184355.209791.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362184393.628382.jpg
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Little sweetie is so cute expensive.
  14. crlujan

crlujan

Actually quite cheap if you compare them to an old Ampeg or the Azola basses.
  15. crlujan

crlujan

Sound sample recorded yesterday. JBM Group. 2nd ever rehearsal. 1st time with this tune.

This was recorded with a Tascam 4-track cassette recorder. 2 mics. 1 one the drums. 1 for guitar. Keys and bass direct. KK Baby-Bass through a Sansamp Bass Driver and an Ampeg B-100r. Line out from amp.

Sounds to me like I may need to work on playing with a slightly lighter touch. And, of course, my intonation at times.

http://m.soundcloud.com/joebaermagnant/chocolate-stout
  16. dlb1001

dlb1001

Sounds like a good buy! I contacted KK but they don't have any US dealers.
    Glad to hear that you are happy with the sound; I'm a beginner so I'm trying to decide whether or not to go with the Baby Bass or standard upright.
    I was a workshop on uprights and two players spoke about the feedback problems and also, how tough it is play with a band who don't know how to control their overall volume. One guy, though, had a Blast Cult but, at $4200, it is a little too steep for beginner.
  17. Peter Bout

Peter Bout

My bass arrived this week in very good condition. What a beauty and what a craftsmanship! This instrument is build by Kris Kedzior; I could choose the wood and the finish. Maple body and neck with mahogany inlay and ebony fingerboard.
    Topquality fingerboard! This bass plays heavenly. The sound is so good; fat, punchy and defined. It really sings; Kris put Thomastik superflexibles on it: good choice for me.I play mostly roots and blues/ jazz. It's a versatile bass. Don't be afraid, it's not only a salsa bass. I'm so satisfied. I had my first gig this week and a lot of people told me the bass sounded and looked so good.
    The finish of the bass is high quality. I bought a K&M electric upright stand: it's made for this bass!
    Kris is reliable and maintains contact during the building process. Kris, well done!
  18. crlujan

crlujan

Ditto to all of the above.
  19. crlujan

crlujan

A fresh pic taken 3/23 at Cafe Royale, SF.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364356226.416216.jpg
  20. bassike

bassike

Has anyone played it with a bow?
    im about to pull the triger on one of this.
    the Videos of this bass look nice and i know it will work for jazz and lstin music very well.
    when i used to play DB i learned sitting down, does anyone know if the stand will make it get the right position for it to be played sitting down?
    also I never played rockabilly and im not a big fand of this music, but i do like the thecnique, would this bass work for the slap bass?
  21. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

I recently saw these advertised and wonder if many on talkbass use these? would like to learn more about these instruments.