NBD Kramer Disciple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Mar 16, 2012.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I got a great deal on a used Kramer Disciple bass, and honestly bought it in large part due to the black/red color scheme because I knew my wife would love it. I liked the idea of a big humbucker somewhere between the P-Bass spot and the MM spot, so I went for it.

I've only had it but 24 hours, so I'm in the honeymoon stage, but this is a great little bass. And, I mean little. Look at it in comparison to a Jazz bass:

[​IMG]

It has an EMG pickup and 2-band preamp, mahogany body, three piece maple neck, ebony fretboard and basic but good quality hardware.

More shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The neck is very comfortable and on the thin side front to back. The previous owner scratched up the back with his belt buckle, nearly stripped the truss rod adjustment nut, and had very old, dead strings on it. Still, it played and sounded well when I got it. Since setting it up with new strings, this bass really sounds great. It's an aggressive sound, but with a bit of warmth at the same time. I'll play it in a band context in church on Sunday, and post my thoughts after that.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know where these are made? The build and finish quality is good, and the fret work looks quite good.

I think these run $479 new, and I got it for $250 with a form fitting hard case. I think I got a good deal. I mean, I'm not going to sell off my Carvins now or anything, but this is a nice, fun addition to the collection. :bassist:
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think that is one pretty neat looking bass!!
  3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

if i'm not mistaken, it looks like it's got the piezo pickups in the bridge.
  4. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

5. WoodyG3

I thought so, too. It does look like that, but it's not a piezo equipped bridge. I'm guessing they have silver colored bridge saddles so the black doesn't wear off from the strings rubbing and sliding on it.

Other notes:

The EMG is actually an active pickup, not passive with a pre as I said above.

Another nice feature, the control cavity cover screws into threaded inserts. Not something I've seen often on even more expensive basses.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool! Congrats. Hope it works well for you.
  7. WoodyG3

So I played this in a church gig today, and it worked quite well. This bass wouldn't be my first choice for detail or high melodic lines, but it has great bottom end and some nice grind when you need it. You can get some very warm sounds by playing toward the neck, and sorta' Stingray sounds near the bridge. I really like this pickup placement between the P-bass and MM traditional positions.

It's also a very light bass, for those looking for something to save their back and shoulders.

For myself, I can't think of a sub $500 bass I've liked as well. This one will get some serious play time! I'm really surprised, because, as I said earlier, I bought it online, mostly for the way it looks. LOL. :D
  8. Deef

Deef

Welcome to the club. I'm very happy with my Disciple bass and can get a nice range of sounds. That EMG pup realyy does have a nice sound.
    Here's mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!!
  9. GM60466

GM60466

Play it hard.
  10. StinkyPeteXI

StinkyPeteXI

I've pretty much decided that this is going to be my next bass. The specs on paper look excellent and all at a great price point, but I would like to know, does it have a good slap sound? Also, what is the width of the neck at the nut?
  11. swaps

swaps

That's a very cool axe you picked up! Well done!
  12. WoodyG3

I don't slap, so I'm no judge on that. Sorry. The nut is 1.5"

Thanks!
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Never seen one of those, looks pretty killer. Looks a lot like a Peavey Millennium. Nice high quality bridge, too.
  14. Wallace320

Wallace320

Actually I thought about that (they're pretty popular here in Italy) 'cause I appreciated the overall "Tobias-esque" design (Kramer is run by Gibson nowadays), the red and black Morbid Angel's Dave "Evil" Vincent Dean Demonator alike bass look and
    the graphic similarity "Ying/Yang" color mixing with Victor Wooten's Fodera.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  15. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

This is a sick looking bass !
  16. Darren Low

Darren Low

Black and red is sexy!