1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Lull orangesicle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, Dec 8, 2012.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Ok, I historically have never been a JJ bass fan. Last one I owned for any length of time was a Fender Jazz something or other (active - don't remember the model name) back in the early 90's. I'm more of a PJ guy, and have settled on a couple of Foderas and a Rob Allen after cycling through a bunch of instruments. I only had one 4-string fretted (Yin Yang Deluxe), and I play in 5 different bands plus casuals and for some of the gigs, a more traditional look can be a better "fit" (depending on the bandleader). Plus in one of the bands we do some instrument swapping and I'm not crazy about handing over the Fodera. In the past I've owned a couple of Sadowsky JJs but never bonded with them. I had a Lull PJ5 but it got flipped for a couple of reasons (was passive, and I've settled on 34" scale).

For whatever reason I decided I would try a JJ bass one more time. I'm a sucker for orange, and awesome TB'er VroomVroom has done some advance work before leading me to some nice instruments. Oh, and I also am not a fan of maple fingerboards or ash bodies. So it makes perfect sense for me to get an ash/maple JJ :D

I present, the orangsicle

[​IMG]

I haven't gigged it yet, but so far I'm impressed. This bass isn't nearly as harsh as I would have expected. Tone is quite sweet, and the Fralin with Bart 2-band works well. Playability is excellent, with the neck having a bit more beef than my Fodera, a bit less than my Rob Allen. The only complaint I have is that when I slap my hand sometimes whacks the volume knob. That is more about my technique (or lack thereof), but my other basses have the controls set further back and I traditionally have been a P kinda guy. But it is damn fun to slap. I have to say that Mike makes a really nice instrument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Congratulations! I like that color combination.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Very nice I have a Gold Lull just like yours. 2006.
    Very light weight 7.5 pounds.
    Great for what it does, and plays like butter.
    That is one bass more people want to borrow.

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    oh yeah, forgot - 7.8 lbs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Yep. That is sweet!

7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Colour looks great. I've owned a number of Fenders and tried a number of other Jazzes (Lakland, Sadowsky) and my Lull M4V is the best Jazz I've tried. Hope you keep enjoying it.

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Congrats!
    I love the finish! I would really like to try both one of these and a Spector Coda - they are the two Jazz-style basses currently on my radar.

9. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Nice! my Lull T4 is painted and finished in the same combination.

10. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Wow. This thing is right up my alley. Only had the opportunity to play a Lull once and it was fantastic. Nice bass!!

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Very nice! Love the color.

I had the same aversion to ash/maple jazz basses...but played one a while ago that quickly changed my mind.

12. gottawalk

gottawalk

Congrats! Lull is the man! I am taking my bass in on Monday to get the nut fixed; bass got knocked over in the stand and landed Flat face first and the "adjust-a-nut" may have some stripped threads now! Mike says, "no problem; lots of 'fixes' for that"! He's done other work on my basses and he REALLY knows his stuff! Going to start trying out his bass line soon!

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

i've also never bonded with a J/J bass before, although it's not for a lack of trying. If this is indeed 'The One', congrats. Perhaps one day I'll find a Jazz I like, although my Ric can get pretty near. Hope it works out well for you, my man!

15. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Beautiful............. Love the color. Looks so sweet.

16. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Congrats on the Lull! I couldn't imagine being without mine.

17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

18. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Yeah, I have to say if mike didn't do such a good job PLEKing my fender, this exact bass would probably be my 3rd Lull.... Maybe surf green. The wood on the fender just rings right, though.

19. Headroom

Headroom Supporting Member

Simply gorgeous.

20. Darren Low

Darren Low

21. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

congrats nostatic! from a fellow lull bass owner I had the same aversion to JJ basses, till I played a couple of fralin loaded lulls. they have a great "weight" behind the notes that I'd found lacking in a lot of other J basses. they retain their fatness even with both pickups full on. and its rare to find one much heavier than 8 lbs.