NBD - Malinoski #94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SolarMan, Oct 31, 2012.

1. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

My first medium scale bass - it plays like a dream and sounds even better!

This is from the Moon series by Peter Malinoski, #94:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out this scarfed neck joint - 10 degrees:

[​IMG]

The body is 90 year old douglas fir - not your standard pine - it is a very stable and if you are into tonewood, this wood has tons of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fretboard is Padauk, neck is maple, scarfed headstock is ambrosia maple:

[​IMG]

Now, this is a slab fretboard!

[​IMG]

Hard to see in a photo, but the headstock has a radius to it - sort of puffed up like a pillow, very subtle:

[​IMG]

(There are also 2 carbon fiber rods in his necks - not shown!)

Pete doesn't usually sign his work, but he will if you ask him! Check out the figuring on that ambrosia maple (also know as wormy maple):

[​IMG]

Next to big brother P for size reference:

[​IMG]

They look good together!

[​IMG]

Those pickups are pretty special. Each pickup is actually 4 individual humbuckers wired together (in parallel) - if you go on his website petermalinoskiart.com,you can see a picture of these unusual "mono pole" units. This bass thunders on the lower registers and these pickups are why.

There is also a passive piezo that is activated by pulling up the tone switch. It is adjustable via those 2 small holes on the back. Expands your tonal options and gives an acoustic vibe to the sound.

It has 26 frets (polished to mirror finish), 1-5/8" Delrin nut, 1 inch thick neck, 12" fretboard radius, and weighs in at 7lbs 5oz

I can't put this thing down. It has also inspired my playing to a degree that I can't believe. :bassist:

Thanks for looking!

(And thanks to Mr. Pickles for posting his 2 Malinoski's next to his fEARful cabinet or I would have never known they existed!)
  2. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

3. jeffwo

jeffwo

These basses are so cool looking, and from what I've heard in various videos and sound clips, the low end is indeed amazing for a medium scale bass.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Freaking wild! Nice!
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That scratchplate reminds me of a banjo. I like the padauk fretboard.

We really need some sound clips though. (Once you break it in obviously)
  8. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I think its kinda ugly but very unique. Every where you look there are little details that are incredible and evidence of a very cool build, looks like a really fine instrument, i can only imagine how big this thing sounds.

Congrats!
  9. SolarMan

thanks for the comments!

And, yes, I do need to get some soundclips up here. The photos alone can never do her justice.

Yes, I thought the same thing when I first saw photos of #94. Some of Petes other stuff is "way cooler" - but I kept looking and looking at the pics and like you, I saw more and more detail and fell in love.

More "details"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one detail easily missed in photos, the curly maple "Plate" is actually 2 pieces - the bottom is padauk and finished so fine it feels like one piece:

[​IMG]

(sorry, these photos are lower grade than earlier)

Anyway, the wood is so smooth all over it feels like silk.

The action is perfect - 2mm on all strings at 12th fret with just a touch of relief in the neck.

Oh, yeah, the pickups are encased in spanish cedar. (just one more detail!)

:cool:
  10. millsbass5

millsbass5

Man, I'll just be honest, and shoot from the hip. I'll tell ya, I took one look at your new purchase and thought,"Who(?), in God's name would buy such a thing? My God....:rollno:. Then, I reached over for my drink, andlooked back at the screen. And then, I GOT IT!!! I simply can not explain why I dig these basses soooo much. Is it because it's not your everyday, cookie-cutter type of bass? Probably so. Wow.

The ONLY thing I would change would be the lower horn, and the pick guard. The lower horn on yours kinda has that bastardized, Pedulla Buzz type of look. And, your pick guard has that round, Music Man-type influence. I'm just glad you didn't get the other headstock they offer (What's that guy thinkin' with that shape?). Anyways, I sincerely admire a person that REALLY takes the plunge, when it comes to choosing a bass that's way, way far from the norm. Spending hard-earned $$$ ain't no joke. You got brass balls, for sure. And, IMHO, I wouldn't feel weird, and outta place takin' it to a country gig, much less a rock gig, too. What kinda electronics/pups does yours have?

I'd go with the one with these features:

http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/guitars/page_GTRbass93.htm
  11. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

That is cool looking :)
  12. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    WOW!! Just....wow...this is a remarkable bass!
  13. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nice review! SolarMan's Moon bass goes extra deep due to the position of the neck pickup (in synergy with the pups, which have a bit of extended range to my ears). I had the privilege of borrowing this bass while mine was being built (Thanks, Pete!).

I took a chance with reclaimed Douglas Fir and was rewarded with a unique looking, feeling, and sounding bass as well.

If you'd like to see more examples of Malinoski basses, visit my NBD thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-malinoski-rodeo-121-a-926915/
  14. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

bump for discovering new builders!:bassist:
  15. Malinoski

Malinoski

Disclosures:
    Sole Prop: Malinoski Guitar
    Eric and Jon, thanks for the nod, you're both a pleasure to deal with.

The Douglas fir is even older than you thought, it was 90 years old 90 years ago when it was built into the roof of a house.
    Fantastic stuff, dense, resonant, hard, the resin was long ago crystallized- you couldn't drive a nail in it if you tried.
    And not heavy or clunky, it works very well with my unique neck construction.

Here's my latest bass, a new look on the same theme:

http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/guitars/page_GTRbass128.htm
  16. SolarMan

Hi Pete!

Yes - that wood is some special stuff.

Let's get that picture of your new bass in here:

[​IMG]

I just want to add that there is not one dead note on my bass. Your neck is a wonder, no doubt.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader - but if you guys could play this bass, your jaw will need re-attaching.

(If any of you are in Metro-West Boston area, give me a call and come on over!)

They are "out there as far as looks" - but what Pete is trying to express is that you don't have to do it "The Fender Way" , or " The Gibson Way" - There are other ways to arrive at guitar "perfection" as far as how the instrument feels, plays, and sounds. And he proves it in spades.

Maybe you are too traditional to adapt to the look of such different execution of the concept - and that is human nature. No fault there.

But, my eyes are now wide open - more than ever before.

Thanks Pete!
  17. SolarMan

I know it has been a while, but some of you wanted sound clips?

I decided I would make one clip and let you decide if you want to hear anything else:

#94 Bass and Parker P-36 Guitar.

Let me know if you want to hear anything in particular.

Thanks for looking and listening!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice! That sound was not what I expected looking at it but it sounds great and sounds like it would be highly usable for a lot of different types of music.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Typically, I am not a fan of the single-cutaway, fancy wood, designer basses, but I have to say, that is one fine looking instrument, and made me wonder about my previous judgments.

Really eye-opening.
  20. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Is the neck nailed into the body? They look like nails.

EDIT:

Also, it looks like the pickups have been slightly skewed to the right ever so slightly, is there a reason for this?
  21. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I really like this bass. I'd give anything to try it out...got some much character. This'll keep me up all night just thinking about it.