NBD: Marleaux (sexy Euro-bass) content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Fender32

Fender32

There's so much that I could write about this latest bass to be introduced to my (otherwise quite modest) stable, but I know that there's always a tendency to get carried away and over-praise anything new :rolleyes:. It's a Marleaux Betra model, made by hand in the Harz mountains in Germany, not far from where I live.

So instead I would simply like to post these pictures and try and let them do the talking :meh:. It is though, I have to admit, an utterly amazing sounding bass guitar (able to cover a lot of ground, musically) and weighing in at only 7.5lbs means that I am very unlikely to put it down until my fingers get sore - which is how it should be ;).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way ... it's got no headstock :eek: !!!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :).

2. spade2you

spade2you

3. Epidrake

Epidrake

WOW! I love it. 7.5 pounds???? My back would thank me, big time.
    If I might ask, how much?

4. Fender32

Fender32

It's a fair question ;).

New, these cost 2,600 Euros and second hand (like this one) ... they cost less than that :p. To put it another way, new they cost the same (over here) as a Sadowsky Metro bass, whereas in the USA you would probably have to pay about the same amount as you would for a Sadowsky NYC Jazz :meh:. I hope that puts it in perspective for you :p.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. heb9_28

heb9_28

I've spent some time on their website. Absolutely gorgeous, so many beautiful models. A Marleaux is definitely my "dream bass".

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Beauty! Congrats dude!

8. Fender32

Fender32

Thanks DS!

It's not especially 'Black 'n' Maple' though, is it :ninja:!?

9. Fender32

Fender32

Really :)!? Then perhaps you will recognise my bass from this page ...

Marleaux BassGuitars, Bass, Betra, Betra Custom, Headless, Headlessbass, Manufactor, Custom made Bässe, Edelbass, 4-String, 5-String, 6-String, Instruments

This is the actual bass that I've just bought :hyper:. As you may know, all 'Custom' Marleaux basses are unique and built to the customer's exact specifications. This one was made with a (rare) German birch top and being so photogenic, was chosen as the model to represent the entire Betra range on the Marleaux website.

I'd looked at this bass, like, a thousand times and so when it appeared on ebay (Germany), I fell over myself to contact the owner and arrange a sale :smug:.

To me, this bass is something of a 'celebrity' - Jenifer Lopez, possibly, on account of the fulsome bottom curves :D!

10. Darkstrike

Not exactly, but a change is nice too. :D

11. Fender32

Fender32

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Stunning bass - congrats.

13. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Gorgeous. What is the top wood?

14. Darkstrike

German Birch.

15. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

7.5lbs!

Beautiful bass!

16. Fender32

Fender32

As Darkstrike said, it's German birch wood - sourced locally from the woods up in the Harz mountains.

I actually though that it was an African hardwood at first, similar to the shedua used on my old Wal ....

[​IMG]

So, it was a bit of a surprise to learn that it was from a snow-covered mountain forest, as opposed to steaming hot rainforest :p.

If anyone's interested, there's a really cool little video on the homepage of the Marleaux website, showing the area around the workshop and Gerald Marleaux, hard at work building more of his fine instruments ... Link ....

For a nerd like me, it's fascinating to see all of those old woodworking tools and the enormous stocks of exotic timber :eek:. Got wood :ninja:? Hell yes :p!

17. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Just found this thread, WOW! I hadn't ever seen a 'Marleaux' bass before, but I can sure see that they make a great looking instrument!

That top reminds me of the 'Tiger's eye' finish that Paul Reed Smith used to do on his gu*tars (well, at least to me-being colour blind and all!)

Nice bass Andy! and something very different to your usual preference. I bet the Bartolinis sound killer and at 7.5 lbs there's nothing bad to be said there. It looks to me to be on the right side of 'boutique' but without being ostentatious, I've always preferred matt finishes (as opposed to gloss) on highly figured wood.

Happy playing it!

18. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Whoa! That is one gorgeous bass. I will have to check out their website.

Enjoy your new beauty!

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice bass. Congrats! Hope it takes you to many new musical places.

20. Fender32

Fender32

Hi Rob :)!

Yes, the Bartolinis are a good match, I think. These basses also come with Delano humbuckers, but I've been told that they lend a 'cleaner' (toppier) edge to the tone, which I don't really want ;).

Also, whilst the finish is matt (at the moment), I fear that the constant playing attention that it's getting at the moment :bassist: will have certain areas of the top 'shining like a new penny' in no time at all :p!

Although very different to my usual 'Fender' basses, I don't see this one leaving the fold any time soon :smug:.

Thanks for your post!

Andy

Thank you, HFG!

Yes, you should visit their website - it's full of eye candy :D. Just be sure to keep your credit card out of arm's reach ;).

Thanks Aaron!

Actually, it is already taking me to new musical places. aside from being a grade A 'slap monster', it also sounds incredible when tuned down to D G C F and I've been playing it this way a lot. It's also really comfortable when I slap a capo on at the 2nd fret and play it as 30" scale E A D G bass :).

Wonderful instrument :smug:!

21. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Being an Alembic owner, I am pretty GAS proof, basswise, but there were as many beautiful basses on that site as any place I have seen. All things considered the prices are not out of line at all. The Consat Custom and Signature are definitely giving me an itch. Wish I had the cash for one. :bawl: That Rickenbackerish swoopy double cutaway and Alembic-style woodworking is very much to my taste!