1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Matt Freeman Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Hey all

I don't often buy new basses, so this is a treat.

Matt Freeman Squier Precision Bass!

Love it! It has an amazing neck, and I love the squier high mass bridges with the brass saddles.

Neck is reminiscent of a late 70s Precision. Not the chunkiest but not the thinnest. B width, I believe.

Can't say enough good things about Classic Vibes.

Attached Files:

2. Kappa

Kappa

Nice purchase! Congrats!

3. awilkie84

awilkie84

Looks like how a Roger Waters SHOULD look!! I might have to get one of these.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Agreed, I was thinking that recently. The roger waters sig confuses me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pudgychef

pudgychef

congrats! CVs are great. I can never decide on the white or black MF sig...

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Congrats on a great purchase. Gotta love those CV Squiers.

8. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Do you happen to know if the neck on the Matt
    Freeman P is the same as the CV 60's P?

Beautiful bass BTW. Congrats. That's a looker.

9. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nope... Matt Freeman neck is a thicker "C" traditional P compared to the scrawny CV P neck. I've owned both an hugely prefer the MF profile.

10. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have a 60's CV P and coming from Jazz basses I find
    the neck incredibly comfy.

I have been gigging with the CV since I bought it back
    in December and have been thinking about buying a
    backup. Seeing how the CV 60's only come in one
    color I was looking at the MF.

I was hoping the MF had the same neck. Squier's website
    has both necks listed as being modern C's.

11. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Yeah, Fender needs to do a waaay better job with specs on their site. They know that the people who look at the specs actually care about the specs so why don't they just get it together already? :mad:

And grats on the awesome bass! I was trying to trade my CV 60's jazz for one of those in my local area, but had no bites so ended up selling instead and do not see used ones up for sale. Smart people who get one stick with them it seems.

12. rickl289

rickl289

I really like my mf. I took a green scotch brite to the back of the neck to remove some off the gloss.

13. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

Great looking bass, hope to own my own black n maple P someday and that's a strong looking contender for my options.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Fenders descriptions of necks definitely can be confusing. It seems everything is a modern C.

That said, the Matt Freeman is way chunkier than CV 60s; I have owned both. I, too, prefer the Matt Freeman. I traded my CV 60s neck away (for a vintage modified jazz neck).

I played the MF through my rig yesterday for a while. Its a Peavey Mark IV through a Peavey 215D (Black Widow Speakers) and 1973 Ampeg 810 with original CTS drivers. I run a VT bass pedal for gain and overdrive.

It sounded amazing. Really takes to the aggressive tone well. Very articulate. I think it came strung with D'Addario mediums. Overall, it sounds just as good as I could hope. Even tone across the strings (I lower the pickups a little from their factory setting because I tune to drop B). The factory setup was amazing (they even included an inspection card that had measurements of the action). That said, I lowered the action the tiniest bit on a few strings.

LOVE IT! The neck is definitely thickish, a bit thicker down around the nut than I originally noticed. It is pretty much what I remember from 70's Precisions. I have a late 70s/possibly early 80s maple Precision neck that is very similiar, except the Freeman feels bit chunkier. The vintage one may have been refretted with larger frets at some point as well.

I can't believe (but I can) the quality of these basses!! The body on mine is a nice weight, its not as light as my other CV P body (fiesta red) by the slightest bit, which I enjoy. Nice and resonant as well. The high mass bridge makes the bass sit really balanced. My 1983 Japanese SQ precision dives due to the vintage reverse tuners and low mass bridge.

The maple neck and fingerboard have the most subtle figuring, which probably pops because of the high gloss lacquer finish. The fingerboard is a separate piece, which makes sense since there is no skunk stripe for the truss rod.

All in all, blown away and I wont be modifying the pickups. I swapped the pups in my CV 60 P to dimarzio model P almost immediately, but thats only because I was itching to try those out.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. It sounds like a P bass, and feels great. Perfect black/black/maple vibe and I love the glossy neck finish. I have been looking for something that is essentially like my vintage precision neck, and I found it.