1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD Mexican P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LanOsb133, Jan 1, 2014.

1. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Just scored a Mexican P bass off of one of my co-workers today for $100. Whats wrong with it? Besides a slightly not straight neck (Easy fix) a cracked pickguard, loose input jack and the pickups being too high, nothing. He even threw in a hard shell case! It's from 1995, rosewood board, sunburst white pick guard and absolutely AMAZING action, it was one hell of a deal that I'm glad I had the opportunity to get.

Here it is next to the American Deluxe.

Edit: The pickguard is cracked at the jack and I will be (more than likely) buying a new one. What color should I get?

Edit 2: Everything is now fixed besides the pickguard. Right now its even playing better than my American Deluxe. Looks like I'll have to set that one up tonight.

[​IMG]
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Nice score congrats.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Neck not straight? That doesn't sound good. How bad is it?
  4. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Just a tiny curve, nothing the truss rod can't fix! Even as is, the ADG strings are all have the correct intonation, the E however is slightly sharper at the 12. So just a bit of TLC, DNA removal and a nice set up (and some new parts) and she will be running 100%
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

great deal, quite a score. for me, id put on a black guard (and chrome knobs) and have a gruesome twosome. but then again, if it were mine, id be changing a few things haha. congrats!
  6. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Tort pickguard would make it look vintage. Throw in a tug bar and you're done.
  7. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Well if I do a tug bar should I just slap on the covers aswell? While I am not fond of Tort (Had it on my deluxe and got rid of it the second I could find a replacement guard.) I do like the idea of tort and rosewood, I'll keep it in mind but I sort of want to stray away from tort.

Also @Wild4oldcars, I need to remember Gruesome Twosome. Possibly one of the best names I have ever heard. That name alone makes me want another 1 ply just so I could call them the Gruesome Twosome.

[​IMG]
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Congratulations on a great score! +1 vote on a tort PG. I'd also go ahead and instal new CTS pots & Switchcraft jack; Sprague Vitimin Q tone cap, and a Fender '62 p'up. New strings & set-up and you'll rockin' like a big dog! That bass is easily worth the cost of the mods, and turn it into a real keeper.
  9. Tbone76

Tbone76

Great find! I like tort on sunburst, but if you don't like it, then don't cave to peer pressure!! Black is another classy option, imo, and a tort pg is half the cost of what you paid for the bass.
  10. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I vote for a black PG. Tort is overdone.
  11. jbalou02

jbalou02 Supporting Member

+1 Black is badder
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

something along these lines perhaps?
    \[​IMG]

sub for 1-ply like OP mentioned earlier (I think), but you get the idea :)
  13. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I can't seem to find a 1ply black pickguard for under $25. Anyone else got any other opinions on pickguard colors? Maybe something other than the standard red tort, black or white?
  14. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

I want your Am Dlx P! I wish they still made them with that configuration. :(
  16. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Nice! I'd go with a tort guard. Just my preference.
  17. Tbone76

Tbone76

I bought a 3 ply b/w/b pg for my p bass at guitar center for $16. I then took a black sharpie and went over the edge to color in the white. It came out great.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388699480.789233.jpg
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. if I run into that, I usually just put a piece of black electrical tape on the body under the truss rod notch and nobody will see it if more than a couple feet away ... I also do it at the joint between the p/g and control plate if needed ...
  19. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I agree, I never understood why they stopped making them in P/H configs. It really made them special and something that not everyone has *cough*PJ*cough*. And go buy one! They are relatively cheap on ebay for what you are getting :D I'm going to be purchasing another one in the near future.

Will 11 holes line up with a 13 hole bass? If so would I just need to drill the other two holes?

Sorry for the late replies guys, I work graveyard and usually check TB when I get back from work to wind down.
  20. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Cheap Chinese pickguards are a bit of a gamble, but in my experience, most of the holes (9 or 10) will line up, and 1 or 2 may not so you'd have to drill those. The "extra" holes from your previous pickguard are no longer needed, and will just sit unused and covered under your new pickguard.

The worst I've seen was a P-bass pickguard from GuitarFetish that was so far off that it didn't even cover the electronics cavity on my bass completely. It wasn't even worth spending the postage to return it.

Your best bet of course is to go with an official Fender pickguard, but as you observed they are more expensive ($20 and up).